• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I dont think i've seen nething like this before :S
i'll nt solve it me neither i thnk its nt 4 our syllabus astrophysics is a bit confusing isn't it?like u kno the answers bt like smetimes i jst ans them and im nt fully understood the concept

Reaction score
i'll nt solve it me neither i thnk its nt 4 our syllabus astrophysics is a bit confusing isn't it?like u kno the answers bt like smetimes i jst ans them and im nt fully understood the concept
Yeah i guess :p
N VERY true :| Even if u know it, u dunno how to explain it properly sumtymz :(

Reaction score
Yeah i guess :p
N VERY true :| Even if u know it, u dunno how to explain it properly sumtymz :(
jst nw it happned wth me :) i wanna ask u the wavelength we receive frm a star i red shifted incomparsion 2 1 in the laboratory so the wavelength is the peak wavelength or no?

Reaction score
jst nw it happned wth me :) i wanna ask u the wavelength we receive frm a star i red shifted incomparsion 2 1 in the laboratory so the wavelength is the peak wavelength or no?
It always keeps happening with me :oops:
I dint get u sorry :oops: What are u asking again?

Reaction score
It always keeps happening with me :oops:
I dint get u sorry :oops: What are u asking again?
the wavelength we receive frm a galaxy is the peak wavelength always likein the redshift they show u a shift in a certain wavelength is tht the peak 1?.

Reaction score
the wavelength we receive frm a galaxy is the peak wavelength always likein the redshift they show u a shift in a certain wavelength is tht the peak 1?.
We recieve a range of wavelengths from the galaxy acctually (remeber the bell-shaped curve for Wien's displacement Law?)
and its not nessecary that it's ALWAYS the peak one, all the wavelengths will show the same shift.

Reaction score
We recieve a range of wavelengths from the galaxy acctually (remeber the bell-shaped curve for Wien's displacement Law?)
and its not nessecary that it's ALWAYS the peak one, all the wavelengths will show the same shift.
ahh ok and i shldn't confuse ths wth the previous parts as i always does

Reaction score
well, usually the parts are related tho ;)
:) i don kno wat 2 say im really embarressed frm asking alot :( nw i answered 1 que and i found my ans wrng so can u explain it 2 me if tht's ok:) astrophysics as usual:) old papers Q88 last part abt speed calculation and Q87 and i repeat my apology:)

Reaction score
:) i don kno wat 2 say im really embarressed frm asking alot :( nw i answered 1 que and i found my ans wrng so can u explain it 2 me if tht's ok:) astrophysics as usual:) old papers Q88 last part abt speed calculation and Q87 and i repeat my apology:)
Its perfectly okay with me :D Dont feel so, I'm learning a lot myself :)

Q87 I dunno what formula they are using :eek: I used a = v^2/r but I'm not getting the answer :S
@87 which part?

Dont apologize please :) I'm sorry for my late responses btw :oops:

Reaction score
Its perfectly okay with me :D Dont feel so, I'm learning a lot myself :)

Q87 I dunno what formula they are using :eek: I used a = v^2/r but I'm not getting the answer :S
@87 which part?

Dont apologize please :) I'm sorry for my late responses btw :oops:
thnx :) all of it if u can :)

Reaction score
thnx :) all of it if u can :)
Welcome n sure ...

Red Giants are stars with a large surface and cooler. They have moved off the main sequence.
Parallax displacement is the apparent change in angle of a star when viewed from the earth six months apart compared to a distant fixed star.

5 days (1 wave)

B is more luminous than A when viewed from earth. The maxima and minima are higher for B

Since luminosities are same, yet B appears brighter, A must be farther away from the earth to appear less brighter.

Contract: Gravitational forces
Expand: forces due to gas pressure and nuclear reaction

Reaction score
Welcome n sure ...

Red Giants are stars with a large surface and cooler. They have moved off the main sequence.
Parallax displacement is the apparent change in angle of a star when viewed from the earth six months apart compared to a distant fixed star.

5 days (1 wave)

B is more luminous than A when viewed from earth. The maxima and minima are higher for B

Since luminosities are same, yet B appears brighter, A must be farther away from the earth to appear less brighter.

Contract: Gravitational forces
Expand: forces due to gas pressure and nuclear reaction
thnx :) bt y B is more luminous? and how distances can be diff?

Reaction score
thnx :) bt y B is more luminous? and how distances can be diff?
No problem :D

B is as luminous as A according to the question, but from the earth it seems less brighter. That can only happen if B is far. LIke if u have something far it seems less bright than if it were near :)

How much are u done with? I'm doing Past papers now :)

Reaction score
No problem :D

B is as luminous as A according to the question, but from the earth it seems less brighter. That can only happen if B is far. LIke if u have something far it seems less bright than if it were near :)

How much are u done with? I'm doing Past papers now :)
ok y b according 2 the graph is more luminous im also doin past papers bt i didn yet revise the bok:( and sme ques i solved b4 nw im nt able 2 solve and i started taking more time in solving ques than usual

Reaction score
ok y b according 2 the graph is more luminous im also doin past papers bt i didn yet revise the bok:( and sme ques i solved b4 nw im nt able 2 solve and i started taking more time in solving ques than usual

It 'appears' more luminous but it isnt. Thats exactly what ís the reason for it being far away.

ahan! I did the Study Guide and now the papers... n i think its cuz of exam pressure... >.<" Its hard to do stuff when ur tensed n nervous :(

Reaction score
It 'appears' more luminous but it isnt. Thats exactly what ís the reason for it being far away.

ahan! I did the Study Guide and now the papers... n i think its cuz of exam pressure... >.<" Its hard to do stuff when ur tensed n nervous :(
ya:( and smetimes u ned 2 thnk of an ans and the time is jst running away