• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
SO true >.<" But Inshallah we wont face a time problem in the exam.. :)
inshalla :) and ya i 4got in the displacement parallax shld it be the distance of a star frm the earth cuz y did u mention frm fixed stars? and even im nt goin 2 do al of these past papers nw im doin 2011 i'll jst choose the diff ques and solve:)

Reaction score
inshalla :) and ya i 4got in the displacement parallax shld it be the distance of a star frm the earth cuz y did u mention frm fixed stars? and even im nt goin 2 do al of these past papers nw im doin 2011 i'll jst choose the diff ques and solve:)
I mean we compare the angle with a star that appears "fixed" from the earth. (a very far star basically)
ohh! Imma solve all the questions but just quickly... not full solutions...

Reaction score
I mean we compare the angle with a star that appears "fixed" from the earth. (a very far star basically)
ohh! Imma solve all the questions but just quickly... not full solutions...
ok wat i said is correct or no and i'll stop bt asking ths que so tht u can solve:)

Reaction score
whn ur done wth the past papers i ned que 64 astrophysics:) i donkno y im goin 4 the old past papers always:(
Binding energy is the energy released when a nucleus is split into individual protons and neutrons.

the graph will be like this with a peak at Iron

Untitled.png

Calculate the binding energy per nucleon for both. 16O its 123.45/16 = 7.72 and 17O its 126.43/17 = 7.44. Since more energy is holding O-16 together, it will be more stable.
Dont worry, ANY practice is useful now. :)

Reaction score
Binding energy is the energy released when a nucleus is split into individual protons and neutrons.

the graph will be like this with a peak at Iron

View attachment 13275

Calculate the binding energy per nucleon for both. 16O its 123.45/16 = 7.72 and 17O its 126.43/17 = 7.44. Since more energy is holding O-16 together, it will be more stable.
Dont worry, ANY practice is useful now. :)
im totally nw messed up i hve alot i don kno plz can u explain me a bit standard candles

Reaction score
im totally nw messed up i hve alot i don kno plz can u explain me a bit standard candles
I feel the same way :cry:

Neways, Standard candles are objects whose luminosity is known by some other means, like Cephid variables and supernova explosions.

Reaction score
I feel the same way :cry:

Neways, Standard candles are objects whose luminosity is known by some other means, like Cephid variables and supernova explosions.
and so they allow us 2 calculate the distances of other stars? ohhh im totally dead i swear there was 1 que i solved 2 days ago and 2day i jst cldnt solve it:( i hve prb wth Q(7) part c astrophysics can u help me in tht :)

Reaction score
and so they allow us 2 calculate the distances of other stars? ohhh im totally dead i swear there was 1 que i solved 2 days ago and 2day i jst cldnt solve it:( i hve prb wth Q(7) part c astrophysics can u help me in tht :)
They let us know the Luminosity and then using the formula for flux, we can find the distance.

aaawwwwhh! :(

which paper?

Reaction score
They let us know the Luminosity and then using the formula for flux, we can find the distance.

aaawwwwhh! :(

which paper?
old past papers and i wrote nw 2 ans i wnt ur opinion if they might be right for jan 2010 Q(18) part (d) i wrote the data collected will be more reliable.This is because the carbon-14 will only come frm the stonehenge so this will nt affect the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12.
then a que asked Q: outline the life story of a white dwarf start starting from when it was a main sequence star.You may be awarded.... so my ans was 1: During the main sequence hydrogen burning was taking place.when all hydrogen has been burned the star expanded 2 a lower temp and increased in S.A to becme a red giant. Nuclear fusion of heavier elements(He) took place and soon after it was completed, the star collapsed due to gravitational forces and became a smaller and hotter star called the white dwarf

Reaction score
old past papers and i wrote nw 2 ans i wnt ur opinion if they might be right for jan 2010 Q(18) part (d) i wrote the data collected will be more reliable.This is because the carbon-14 will only come frm the stonehenge so this will nt affect the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12.
then a que asked Q: outline the life story of a white dwarf start starting from when it was a main sequence star.You may be awarded.... so my ans was 1: During the main sequence hydrogen burning was taking place.when all hydrogen has been burned the star expanded 2 a lower temp and increased in S.A to becme a red giant. Nuclear fusion of heavier elements(He) took place and soon after it was completed, the star collapsed due to gravitational forces and became a smaller and hotter star called the white dwarf
The Hubble's constant one? Well, the inverse of Hubble's constant gives the age of the universe.

Can u gimme that paper pls? and Mark scheme too? I think I missed it while solving :eek:

U dont say burning of hydrogen, say fusion ;) And rest is (y)

Reaction score
The Hubble's constant one? Well, the inverse of Hubble's constant gives the age of the universe.

Can u gimme that paper pls? and Mark scheme too? I think I missed it while solving :eek:

U dont say burning of hydrogen, say fusion ;) And rest is (y)
which past paper? ok i'll gve u jan 2012 and if u didn ned tht tel me which 1 :)

Attachments

• 6PH05_01_que_20110309.pdf
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6PH05_01_msc_20120208.pdf
    307.8 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
nono its 2012 Q(18):)
oh! :oops: me messed up, sholly >.<"

They are asking abt the effect of less atmospheric carbon-14 on the calculation of age. I think it will be that the henge will appear younger because C14 : C12 ratio has increased now :)