• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
nopes! I did dat for Medicine :)
Hii how r u hope ur fine :) i ned ur help in sme ques's 1: Atoms which emit alpha or beta particles usually emit gamma as well. Explain why this occurs? 2: It says abt a smoke detector Radiation from the source ionises the air between the plates and a small current is detected. If the smoke enters the detector, the ions "stick" to the smoke particles, reducing the current and triggering an alarm. so the 1st part says americium-241 is an alpha emitter. Explain why an alpha emitter is a suitable source for this apparatus. ths is done bt in the 2nd part they ask Discuss other features of this americium sample which makes it a suitable source for the smoke detector it carries 3 marks i wrote 1 reason tht it has a long half life bt i don kno wat other 2 extra points to add .. I really apologize for asking mny ques's and thanks alot :)

Reaction score
Hii how r u hope ur fine :) i ned ur help in sme ques's 1: Atoms which emit alpha or beta particles usually emit gamma as well. Explain why this occurs? 2: It says abt a smoke detector Radiation from the source ionises the air between the plates and a small current is detected. If the smoke enters the detector, the ions "stick" to the smoke particles, reducing the current and triggering an alarm. so the 1st part says americium-241 is an alpha emitter. Explain why an alpha emitter is a suitable source for this apparatus. ths is done bt in the 2nd part they ask Discuss other features of this americium sample which makes it a suitable source for the smoke detector it carries 3 marks i wrote 1 reason tht it has a long half life bt i don kno wat other 2 extra points to add .. I really apologize for asking mny ques's and thanks alot :)
Heya :) Yes m good Alhamdulillah, just fed up wid studies >.<"wat abt u? :)

1) Thats because a large amount of energy is released during nuclear reactions which needs to be stabilized, the emission of a gamma ray helps to do that :)

2) Long half-life, does not need to be replaced often, safe as only alpha is emitted so wont reach any humans. (This is what i can think of at the moment, there maybe more reasons as well. Btw, is this from a past paper or something? :confused:)

No need to apologize! Homestly speaking, it helps to jog my brain as well, keep the questions commpng please :) n ur so welcome :)

btw, isnt this part of Unit 4? :unsure:
and sorry for the late response....

Reaction score
Heya :) Yes m good Alhamdulillah, just fed up wid studies >.<"wat abt u? :)

1) Thats because a large amount of energy is released during nuclear reactions which needs to be stabilized, the emission of a gamma ray helps to do that :)

2) Long half-life, does not need to be replaced often, safe as only alpha is emitted so wont reach any humans. (This is what i can think of at the moment, there maybe more reasons as well. Btw, is this from a past paper or something? :confused:)

No need to apologize! Homestly speaking, it helps to jog my brain as well, keep the questions commpng please :) n ur so welcome :)

btw, isnt this part of Unit 4? :unsure:
and sorry for the late response....
no don't worry :) no they r frm unit 5 and ya bt old past papers sure if i'll find any que i cnt solve i'll ask u :) and do u thnk ther is enough time to cover up unit 5 cuz honestly still i hve alot of work to do :(

Reaction score
no don't worry :) no they r frm unit 5 and ya bt old past papers sure if i'll find any que i cnt solve i'll ask u :) and do u thnk ther is enough time to cover up unit 5 cuz honestly still i hve alot of work to do :(
ohhh! If ur doing the really old papers den remeber dat the syllabus has changed a LOT in terms of distribution among the units, u need to check which topics are relavent n only do those... (I asked cuz i remeber solving this in Unit 4 :p)

I sure hope we can, I have to do chem n bio as well :cry:

Tomorrow i'll be doing only physics Inshallah, i basically have the astrophysics stuff dat keeps getting me :mad: :cry:

Reaction score
ohhh! If ur doing the really old papers den remeber dat the syllabus has changed a LOT in terms of distribution among the units, u need to check which topics are relavent n only do those... (I asked cuz i remeber solving this in Unit 4 :p)
I sure hope we can, I have to do chem n bio as well :cry:
Tomorrow i'll be doing only physics Inshallah, i basically have the astrophysics stuff dat keeps getting me :mad: :cry:
ya and the que in 2012 jan tht carries 4 marks or 5 i cldn't solve its abt also tht astrophysics tht i hve 2 revise the lesson btw wat book do u use for physics?

Reaction score
ya and the que in 2012 jan tht carries 4 marks or 5 i cldn't solve its abt also tht astrophysics tht i hve 2 revise the lesson btw wat book do u use for physics?
I havent solved Jan 2012 as yet :cry: I'll be doing it tomorrow :oops:
I have Hodders, Pearson and 2 revision guides, but i think i'm only going to study from the revision guide and the question papers... wat abt u?

Reaction score
I havent solved Jan 2012 as yet :cry: I'll be doing it tomorrow :oops:
I have Hodders, Pearson and 2 revision guides, but i think i'm only going to study from the revision guide and the question papers... wat abt u?
i hve revision guide too im using miles hudson book ya its pearson company so im studying frm both cuz i didn read evrythng frm the book b4 btw wats the name of ur revision guide books i hve the purple 1

Reaction score
i hve revision guide too im using miles hudson book ya its pearson company so im studying frm both cuz i didn read evrythng frm the book b4 btw wats the name of ur revision guide books i hve the purple 1
Yeah thats the one i have too :)
I dint read either :whistle: but no time now :(
I have the purple one from pearson and another purple one from CGP one as well :)

Reaction score
hope it wil be fine dont worry y u tok bio its hard frm AS so wat abt A2 bt i fel it wil be easy inshalla :) dont worry u can do it :)
I sure hope so, but AS bio is easy, A2 bio is like a whole new dimension :eek:
But Inshallah it'll be fine n so will Physics ^_^