• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Post your AS-Level Mathematics (P1 and M1) doubts here.

Reaction score
When is a progression convergent and even is it divergent? In p1
Convergent is when succesive values of a sequence get closer n closer to a certain number and this is when 0 < r < 1 . For example da sequnce 16/n² approches 0 as n increases.
Divergent is when succesive values of a sequence get farther apart each time n increases and this is when r > 1. for example da sequence n² keeps on increasing and increasing.

Reaction score
Can someone please solve this, step by step:
In a geometric progression, the second term is 9 less than the first term. The sum of the second and third terms is 30. Given that all the terms of the progression are positive, find the first term.

Reaction score
Can someone please solve this, step by step:
In a geometric progression, the second term is 9 less than the first term. The sum of the second and third terms is 30. Given that all the terms of the progression are positive, find the first term.

Given: a2 = a - 9
an = a x r^(n-1)
=> a - 9 = ar
= a - ar = 9
=> a(1-r) = 9
Given: a2 + a3 = 30
a2 = ar
a3 = ar^2
=> ar + ar^2 = 30
=> ar(1+r) = 30

Divide the 2 eqns:
ar(1+r)/a(1-r) = 30/9
the a cancels out
=> you end up with: 3r^2 + 13r -10 = 0
Solve for r: r=2/3 or r=-5
Substitute the 2 values of r in the equation: a(1-r)=9 to find a, and then use the value of a to find a2
The value of a that gives a +ve value of a2 is the correct answer
==> a=27

Reaction score
Reaction score
Given: a2 = a - 9
an = a x r^(n-1)
=> a - 9 = ar
= a - ar = 9
=> a(1-r) = 9
Given: a2 + a3 = 30
a2 = ar
a3 = ar^2
=> ar + ar^2 = 30
=> ar(1+r) = 30

Divide the 2 eqns:
ar(1+r)/a(1-r) = 30/9
the a cancels out
=> you end up with: 3r^2 + 13r -10 = 0
Solve for r: r=2/3 or r=-5
Substitute the 2 values of r in the equation: a(1-r)=9 to find a, and then use the value of a to find a2
The value of a that gives a +ve value of a2 is the correct answer
==> a=27
But you can't always divide to elimate a variable right? So how can you solve the two equations using substation, and why can't we subtract to eliminate I e of the variables ? :S

Reaction score
But you can't always divide to elimate a variable right? So how can you solve the two equations using substation, and why can't we subtract to eliminate I e of the variables ? :S
I've been able to solve every question similar to this I came across using this method. There might be another way of solving these types of questions, but i'm not aware of it, sorry. If you find a question where this method doesn't work, do post it. :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
But how do you solve it by dividing the equations? :S and why can't solve the equation I originally wrote through simple elimination?
Why would you want to divide them when you can easily use elimination?
You can go ahead and try using elimination on the first question. I for one, was unable to solve using this method. There might be a different way of solving it besides dividing the 2 equations but, like I said, I don't know it. Sorry.