• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
Is this from an IGCSE paper?? I think its pretty irrelevant since the direction of light is not given. If it were given, then the shoot would grow and bend towards the direction of light, since agar is permeable and therefore, auxin can diffuse through it. Btw which paper is this question from??
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb..
which question you talking about? :eek:

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb...

why is the answer D?

View attachment 12458
I think this is because the mixture of ammonia and nitrogen will not react or dissolve in water and hence, the gas will remain intact. In A, sodium hydroxide will react with carbon dioxide to form sodium carbonate. In B, Sodium hydroxide will react with sulphur dioxide to form sodium sulphate and C, ammonia will dissolve in water. The only exception is the mixture of ammonia and nitrogen, which will neither react nor dissolve in water. Does that make sense?? (I'm not sure though..)

Reaction score
I think this is because the mixture of ammonia and nitrogen will not react or dissolve in water and hence, the gas will remain intact. In A, sodium hydroxide will react with carbon dioxide to form sodium carbonate. In B, Sodium hydroxide will react with sulphur dioxide to form sodium sulphate and C, ammonia will dissolve in water. The only exception is the mixture of ammonia and nitrogen, which will neither react nor dissolve in water. Does that make sense?? (I'm not sure though..)
ohh....Jazakallah Khair :)

Reaction score
It is A because it says tip is removed so the plant won't grow at all
I have it in my text book that, if the tip (coleoptile) of a shoot is cut off and replaced by agar jelly with auxin, the shoot will grow towards the direction of light! How about that?? :oops:

Maz

Reaction score
I think the answer is C :eek:
cuz it says the agar thingy has auxins in it so the plant WILL grow...
and the auxin should be at the side, where the length is more than the other...
so...is the answer C?
I think it's B, since auxins inhibit growth in the shoot, so the side with the agar will grow slowly and the plant will grow towards the right side.

Reaction score
ok i didnt read it carefully, but im very sure that it is D because tip is responsible for detecting the light and responding to the light and so without the tip the plant willnot know where is the light and so it will just grow upwards and so it is D and im very very sure
EDIT: which paper is this and cud u post a link of the ms? ty :D

Maz

Reaction score
ok i didnt read it carefully, but im very sure that it is D because tip is responsible for detecting the light and responding to the light and so without the tip the plant willnot know where is the light and so i will just grow upwards and so it is D and im very very sure
You are forgetting the block of jar containing auxin.

Reaction score
You are forgetting the block of jar containing auxin.
the auxin doesnt detect the light, only the tip does, auxin is just resposible for growth :/ as far as i know im not pretty sure though

Reaction score

ok i didnt read it carefully, but im very sure that it is D because tip is responsible for detecting the light and responding to the light and so without the tip the plant willnot know where is the light and so it will just grow upwards and so it is D and im very very sure
EDIT: which paper is this and cud u post a link of the ms? ty :D
i checked it...the answer IS C!

Reaction score
I think it's B, since auxins inhibit growth in the shoot, so the side with the agar will grow slowly and the plant will grow towards the right side.
nope...it doesn't! auxins causes the plants to bend...and where they are present, that side bends MORE than the other...so the answer IS C!