• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
Why isn't it half the temperature decrease like 5 instead of 10 ???!!!
cuz when u decrease the reactants there will be more temperature decrease ( to be excat double ) 10*2 and not 10/2 .. cuz the rxn is endo ( u can take the concept of the exothermic rxn & apply it to endo .. but one will be temp increase & the other decrease)

Reaction score
cancel the options with the increase in temp cuz clearly the question says its an endothermic reaction. ok now the concept behind this is that, because there is less volume of water, there is more temp loss. Why is that? I have no fricken idea!
I am kinda getting it ...... anyways ... thanks .

Reaction score
cancel the options with the increase in temp cuz clearly the question says its an endothermic reaction. ok now the concept behind this is that, because there is less volume of water, there is more temp loss. Why is that? I have no fricken idea!
Please provide the year and number

Reaction score
Chemistry November 2008 q 15
well this is an endothermic change so the temperature must decrease, this means that we cancel C and D now we have A or B, will the temperature change halve or double if u halved the amount of water, well it will double because when the volume is small the heat will not be as spread around as when the volume is large because when u have a bigger area, the heat will spread throughout the whole of the area causing a lower temperature.
i had a difficulty writing the explanation because it was hard for me to explain, but if u dont understand ask again and i will try my best to explain it in more details :D

Reaction score
Reaction score
Solutions of a halogen and a sodium halide are mixed.
Which mixture darkens in colour because a reaction occurs?
A) bromine and sodium chloride
B)bromine and sodium fluoride
C) chlorine and sodium fluoride
D) chlorine and sodium iodide
I don't understand the question can someone please explain.. thank you

Reaction score
Solutions of a halogen and a sodium halide are mixed.
Which mixture darkens in colour because a reaction occurs?
A) bromine and sodium chloride
B)bromine and sodium fluoride
C) chlorine and sodium fluoride
D) chlorine and sodium iodide
I don't understand the question can someone please explain.. thank you
the halides on the top of the group are more reactive than the ones at the bottom. so this question basically asks a displacement reaction of halides.
if you add chlorine which is the 2nd from the top it is more reactive than iodide. so D, if you add chlorine it will displace the iodide ion to form sodium chloride and iodine which is a grey/brown colour which darkens the green-yellow gas of chlorine

Reaction score
Please help me with the question below.. how do you solve it?

WUIr6.jpg

Reaction score
View attachment 12160
I don't get how i could go about solving this... please help? Thanks! The answer is in blue.
All the given elements except for proton numbers 10 & 18 can form oxides. This is because elements with proton no. 10 & 18 are stable.. they have a full outer shell of electrons! Therefore, they are unreactive and will not form oxides..

Reaction score
View attachment 12160
I don't get how i could go about solving this... please help? Thanks! The answer is in blue.
use the periodic table and check the proton numbers on the periodic table, the answer is C because proton number 12 and 14 and 16 are all not noble gases and so they can react, however in the others they have noble gases which dont react.

Reaction score
guys this question is annoying me too... please help? Thanks a LOT. Answer is C (blue)View attachment 12162
i just explained it on the other sticky page but i will explain it again. well as u know sodium is more reactive than hydrogen and so it will produce hydrogen and not the metal but copper is less reactive than hydrogen and so copper will be produced and so we eliminate 3 and 4, now we have either 1 or 2, it is 2 because the metal is always deposited on the cathode which is 2

Reaction score

WUIr6.jpg

there are 2 different ways to solve it.

1) I don't know if you have this in ur text book or not, but there is an experiment like this in my text book, where they say that the sample of air is 100 and the volume decreases by 20 so that the syringe will read 80. This is because there is 20% of oxygen in air and this reacts with the copper, so what is left is 80 cm3 of air/ or because it is 100, you can just say 20% reacted and 80% is left. So with that example in mind, you can just do cross multipication and you get 150.

2)Another way you could do it is by using percentages in maths, knowing that there is 20% if oxygen in air.

Reaction score

WUIr6.jpg
the percentage of oxygen in the air is 20% and so 30 cm3 will be 20% of the sample of air (as in this reaction only oxygen is used up) and 20/100x=30 then x=150 cm3 :D