• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Results: CIE October/November 2013 Examination Series.

Reaction score
everybody is all like distinction distinction
but how exactly do u get one? i mean like what is the special preparation for it? shud one solve past papers from other boards like IGCSE?

Reaction score
but how exactly do u get one? i mean like what is the special preparation for it? shud one solve past papers from other boards like IGCSE?
yeah and along with that you keep broadening your knowledge
but what matters the most is that you have to do a PERFECT paper, not a single mark mistake which is not a humanly feat since everyone makes small mistakes even knowing everything
then there is writing and most efficient method used etc.
and so on..

Reaction score
To what extent do Distinctions have an impact on College applications?

They do have an impact but they're not the only thing that matter. One World Distinction wouldn't make up for a lack of say 5 A's over another applicant from your region.

yeah and along with that you keep broadening your knowledge
but what matters the most is that you have to do a PERFECT paper, not a single mark mistake which is not a humanly feat since everyone makes small mistakes even knowing everything
then there is writing and most efficient method used etc.
and so on..

Umm. It is humanly. The people who get distinctions are human.

A lot of it is about luck, and a lot of it is about how much you know. Math and Add Math are the easiest distinction subjects and you can easily get it if you prepare enough, conceptually.

Reaction score
They do have an impact but they're not the only thing that matter. One World Distinction wouldn't make up for a lack of say 5 A's over another applicant from your region.

Umm. It is humanly. The people who get distinctions are human.

A lot of it is about luck, and a lot of it is about how much you know. Math and Add Math are the easiest distinction subjects and you can easily get it if you prepare enough, conceptually.

Why not Physics and Chemistry? :p

But people sometimes know a lot about Maths and Add-Maths, but make a silly mistake in the CIE exam.

Reaction score

Even if you solve 50 years of past papers, a distinction can not be guaranteed.
I know people who solved every single question, still made a silly mistake in the exam to lose the distinction. Luck counts a lot.

Reaction score
Why not Physics and Chemistry? :p

But people sometimes know a lot about Maths and Add-Maths, but make a silly mistake in the CIE exam.

Yeah. Happened to me with my Math exam. Lost a mark in P1 and knew I had lost that mark and ended up losing only that mark. :(

In Physics and Chem there's a lot, A LOT, more chance of making a mistake or two. Especially because of P1.

Reaction score
Yeah. Happened to me with my Math exam. Lost a mark in P1 and knew I had lost that mark and ended up losing only that mark. :(

In Physics and Chem there's a lot, A LOT, more chance of making a mistake or two. Especially because of P1.

So getting a distinction in Maths, is more about luck.
Because i know people who did like 20 years of past papers, every single question, but lost a mark or two, and hence the distinction.

Even 2 years of past paper, and concentration on the exam day, can result in a distinction.

Reaction score
So getting a distinction in Maths, is more about luck.
Because i know people who did like 20 years of past papers, every single question, but lost a mark or two, and hence the distinction.

Even 2 years of past paper, and concentration on the exam day, can result in a distinction.

I did like 3 past papers for p1 and p2 dude. O Level Math is baby stuff if you've a strong conceptual base. Just needed a tiny bit of luck.