• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The Easiest A level Subject

Reaction score
Thinking Skills is harder than General Paper, in my opinion. Doing it at AS, yeah?

If you've some good general knowledge about the world, then you don't even have to prepare for GP. But you should also be able to write well, and objectively. I'd suggest you work out a year's paper for both before making a decision.

And yes, if you want to get into a good university, don't compromise quality with quantity. My friends with A*A*A* have gotten into Cambridge and Oxford more easily than students with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Well, you get my point. They want mature, focused students.
I m going for TS. Itz interesting and can be prepared within the short tym. I dont like language subjects like GP. I got a stupid 87% in English.

Reaction score
I m going for TS. Itz interesting and can be prepared within the short tym. I dont like language subjects like GP. I got a stupid 87% in English.

Alright then. Very good. You've prepared well. Now, I wish you all the best. Insha Allah, you'll be back in 2014 to give us the good news. :)

Just remember to be focused and if you need help in studies, ask. :)

Reaction score
You Can Take Ur Native Language Paper, Like I would Have Taken Urdu If I Was At Your Place! Otherwise I Would Suggest You To Concentrate On These Subjects That You Have! :]

Reaction score
You Can Take Ur Native Language Paper, Like I would Have Taken Urdu If I Was At Your Place! Otherwise I Would Suggest You To Concentrate On These Subjects That You Have! :]
Neither Cambridge nor Edexcel offer Bengali. The problem wid Ict is the practical. I cant do the practical widout a teacher. There are no Ict teachers here. As for urdu, itz not my language :D

Reaction score
Neither Cambridge nor Edexcel offer Bengali. The problem wid Ict is the practical. I cant do the practical widout a teacher. There are no Ict teachers here. As for urdu, itz not my language :D
I dont think you do a project for ICT (From the last time i checked it out) , what I do know is that you have to do a paper which tells you what to do in MS Excel then you need to do it , so yes there is a practical but its easy , you just need to read up on Excel and its features . I am sure any computing teacher has the expertise to examine you!

Reaction score
My computer teacher said universities wont give much credit for it since I already have computing.

Reaction score
My computer teacher said universities wont give much credit for it since I already have computing. He refused to teach me the subject.

Reaction score
That is true , ICT is not given much credit , computing given way more credit , but if you want an extra easy A* then take ICT :)

Reaction score
Sanzaid, your motive in taking so many subjects seems to change from comment to comment. First you said you want knowledge and not just grades. If that's the case, do more reading, you don't have to specifically take a subject to gain knowledge. Google is in your hands :p Then after that you said it's because you think with more subjects it's easier to get a scholarship to Oxford. I understand that you are only trying to be the best, and that's a good thing.

But, whatever your motive is, I agree with what AlphaCentauri said, "don't compromise quality with quantity." Would you rather risk taking so many subjects only to get average-ish grades, or would you rather concentrate on the few to get higher distinctions in all of them? I'm not underestimating you, please don't get me wrong. From what I know, A Level and O Level are very different from each other, just because you did extremely well in O Level with a breeze, doesn't mean you'll be able to do the same now. Everything comes with a price. If you are adamant in taking 7 subjects, there are certain things which you'll have to let go, like your social life etc.

Instead, why not spend the time you have on extracurricular activities? Oxford is not looking for big geeks who are only good in academia, they want all-rounded individuals as well. People with personality, who are proficient in speaking, can think and act fast; things you can't acquire from a book. And about the 7th subject, TS is not too bad, it is quite easy to get an A if you know the structure and how to tackle the questions.

I hope you'll take a good look at your motive and capability, and decide what's best for you. People these days look for quality, not quantity. Anyhow, all the best in whatever you do, and hope to hear some good news! :)

Reaction score
Thinking Skills is harder than General Paper, in my opinion. Doing it at AS, yeah?

If you've some good general knowledge about the world, then you don't even have to prepare for GP. But you should also be able to write well, and objectively. I'd suggest you work out a year's paper for both before making a decision.

And yes, if you want to get into a good university, don't compromise quality with quantity. My friends with A*A*A* have gotten into Cambridge and Oxford more easily than students with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Well, you get my point. They want mature, focused students.
Can you please tell me more about general paper, like if you know of someone who has given this subject.

Reaction score
Hey,

Perhaps I can be of some help to you. I'm taking eight subjects at AS level which are,
  • Physics
  • Math
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • ICT
  • Computing
  • Urdu
  • Thinking Skills
I would have suggested Urdu but since your Bengali, that is not an option. My second suggestion would be Thinking Skills since it hardly requires a teacher and preparation can be done by reading the book by Butterworth while practicing past papers at the same time. Its hardly a week's course if your totally dedicated towards it. If not Thinking Skills than ICT is what I would suggest. Perhaps you could give your practical exam in some other city, the preparation does not require a teacher if you have the book. As for ICT not being given value than my friend Thinking Skills is also not given much value by universities because they too are aware that these subjects are relatively easy.

As for the people saying that the number of subjects does not matter, than I must say I disagree. Recently someone from the Admission Department at Yale came to my college and I was lucky enough to attend his seminar. He explicitly said that universities are interested in breadth of knowledge - meaning that you take a number of different subjects. I agree that 4 A's are better than 8 B's but one could prioritize when taking a lot of subjects - meaning that some subjects are those in which you can give more time because they are more important.

If you have any question than feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Hey,

Perhaps I can be of some help to you. I'm taking eight subjects at AS level which are,
  • Physics
  • Math
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • ICT
  • Computing
  • Urdu
  • Thinking Skills
I would have suggested Urdu but since your Bengali, that is not an option. My second suggestion would be Thinking Skills since it hardly requires a teacher and preparation can be done by reading the book by Butterworth while practicing past papers at the same time. Its hardly a week's course if your totally dedicated towards it. If not Thinking Skills than ICT is what I would suggest. Perhaps you could give your practical exam in some other city, the preparation does not require a teacher if you have the book. As for ICT not being given value than my friend Thinking Skills is also not given much value by universities because they too are aware that these subjects are relatively easy.

As for the people saying that the number of subjects does not matter, than I must say I disagree. Recently someone from the Admission Department at Yale came to my college and I was lucky enough to attend his seminar. He explicitly said that universities are interested in breadth of knowledge - meaning that you take a number of different subjects. I agree that 4 A's are better than 8 B's but one could prioritize when taking a lot of subjects - meaning that some subjects are those in which you can give more time because they are more important.

Hey,

• Physics
  • Math
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • ICT
  • Computing
  • Urdu
  • Thinking Skills

Take a breath dude !!!

Reaction score
Every1 listen! I have decided not to take a 7th subject. Dudes, you guys are absolutely right! I would rather concentrate on the 6 subjects I have and focus on gaining extensive knowledge on computer science which are beyond the scope of the A level sylabus. This would help me in interviews and prepare me beter than if I take Thinking skills. As for the 'quality and quantity' thing, its gud to have both quality and quantity rather than having just quality. I have made this decision after having a chat with a Bangladeshi Oxfordian who got the sco wid 4 distinctions in his 4 subjects. If I take 7 subjects, there are risk of getting 2 or 3 As. After the introduction of A* the value of the grade A has reduced. Universities now want quality A*s rather than A. I want to make sure I get straight A*, an A is not what universities like Oxford want. 7 subjects would surely bring me stupid A grades whereas I firmly believe that Inshallah its possible to achieve 6 A*s. So its final. No more changes. I have decided! 6 subjects it is!

Reaction score
Rule 1: If you think an A is stupid, God probably will not give you A*s
Rule 2: The first purpose of education is to make a good human then to get into universities
Rule 3: English language is not an easy A level
Rule 4: One person might get in with 4 A levels the other might yet get in with 8, it depends on your own context

Reaction score
no i am not a genius. i got a B in o levels english language. its not as tough as your currents subjects that is why i though maybe you could manage it. but most of all it depends on your interest.
thank you very much for the advice :)