• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Threshold

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was checking the threshold for the past years and I noticed that an A* can be scored even if you lost 50 marks. I was checking the Physics threshold of May/June 2012 and noticed that the mark needed to score A* is 142/200, which really shocked me. Is it possible or my calculations are wrong? The total mark is 160, so if you multiply it by 1.25 you'll get 200. So I did that for my expectations and got somehow in the range that is possible. So, it means that no much variation will occur in the threshold this year since last year papers were similar to this year paper in difficulty wise too.

So, guys do you think that this threshold proofs that chances of A* are possible even when losing like 40 marks? Please comment.

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, so just to be clear. All the scores and figures there are over 200? :s

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, so just to be clear. All the scores and figures there are over 200? :s
All the scores are 200, but in the papers it adds up to 160. So, simply multiply 1.25 X 160 to get 200. I will ask my teacher today about this case, she may explain more about it to me.

Reaction score
I will inform you guys about how this correction goes on and why don't you ask CIE in there website they may give a clear answer.

Reaction score
I will inform you guys about how this correction goes on and why don't you ask CIE in there website they may give a clear answer.
"simply multiply 1.25 X 160 to get 200" this way is COMPLETELY right! but not for all subjects..

Reaction score
So, is there anyone here a past IGCSE student and may explain to us? He probably had an experience and can explain to us.

Reaction score
So, is there anyone here a past IGCSE student and may explain to us? He probably had an experience and can explain to us.

nope.....all the igcse students get their grades only....no percentage or marks

so i dont think even they would know....

Reaction score
Well, although if it is true it would be great. But, still it sounds weird that losing 40 marks still gets you A* :S. I really can't wait to know about this situation.

Reaction score
I sent a message to CIE, so let's wait for there reply and hope this whole process is correct :).

Reaction score
Does anyone know when could they reply back? I honestly can't wait for a reply from them.