• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
i dont think so, J is the nucleolus, this is where the ribosomes are manufactured. while transcription is the formation of the mRNA molecule..this takes place in the nucleoplasm (nucleus) >> H.
I think he referring to the third(excluding the already printed answer). If not then you are right.

Reaction score
-In an antibody, does the sugar chain attached influence the specificity of the antibody?
-What are the exact definitions for *nitrification* and *nitrogen fixation*?
Please help :)
Nitrogen fixation: This is the process which converts gaseous nitrogen by the help of enzymes nitrogenase, into forms such as amonia, which can be used by plants.

Nitrification: This is the process which oxidises amonia into nitrates in the presence of oxygen.

Reaction score
for question b
Bacteria have proteins on their cell surface membrane which are identified as antigen/foreign by the phagocyte's receptor -glycocalyx acts as receptor . The phagocyte then flows around the bacteria or sticks to it by binding to its antigens and thus engulfs the bacteria into a vacuole

Reaction score
Reaction score
how do leguminous plants survive in nitrogen deficient soils?
they have nitrogen fixing bacteria in their nodules called Rhizobium which convert the nitrogen into NH4+ for the plants to use They do this under anaerobic conditions so the plant regulates a protein called legahaemoglobin in the root nodules where the bacteria live , coz this protein efficiently mops up any oygen that enters the root nodules

Reaction score
they have nitrogen fixing bacteria in their nodules called Rhizobium which convert the nitrogen into NH4+ for the plants to use They do this under anaerobic conditions so the plant regulates a protein called legahaemoglobin in the root nodules where the bacteria live , coz this protein efficiently mops up any oygen that enters the root nodules
thanks

Reaction score
when is carbamino-haemoglobin formed and when is carboxy-haemoglobin formed??? please help urgently....tx

Reaction score
when is carbamino-haemoglobin formed and when is carboxy-haemoglobin formed??? please help urgently....tx
when co2 combine directly with the -NH2 group (amine group) without that reaction that involve carbonic anhydrase enzyme >>> carbo amino haemoglobin is formed
while when carbon monoxide combine with haemoglobin ,,carboxyhaemoglobin is formed

Reaction score

Carboxyhaemoglobin is when haemoglobin reacts with CO (carbon monoxide)...
and carbino haemoglobin is when some of the CO2 inside the RBCs reacts with the amine -NH2 groups in haemoglobin. 10% of carbon dioxide is transported in this form.

Reaction score
Thanx people bt the pro is check out mj/11 p21 the ms says that CO2 combines with Hb and carboxyhaemoglobin is formed! Please check it out and explain...thanx soo much and God bless you all!

Reaction score
Urgent.

What's the function of the enzyme helicase and the enzyme DNA Polymerase.

hilicase: breaks the H bonds between the bases when ''unzipping'' occurs before replication.
DNA polymerase: it attaches every incoming nucleotide to the previous strand being formed complementary to the template. (forms the sugar-phosphate backbone)

Reaction score
Thanx people bt the pro is check out mj/11 p21 the ms says that CO2 combines with Hb and carboxyhaemoglobin is formed! Please check it out and explain...thanx soo much and God bless you all!
yeah i saw tha earlier and wanted to come ask aswell..but when you come to look at it..there's a "/" between the two answers so maybe that meant it was another idea and wasn't referring to the CO2 and Hb combining?

Reaction score
yeah i saw tha earlier and wanted to come ask aswell..but when you come to look at it..there's a "/" between the two answers so maybe that meant it was another idea and wasn't referring to the CO2 and Hb combining?
Nah I don't think it's another idea....I feel there's a point I am missing there....maybe something to do with the part of Haemoglobin the CO2 combines with......people please help out....tx a lot!