• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score
Decreasing curves
Difference between 5 and 6 any body?

Attachments

• 5 and 6.png
    5 and 6.png
    14 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Q 24: Wave P has half the amplitude but double the frequency..it have a frequency of 2t and amplitude of X0 which gives an intensity of I0....Wave Q have half the frequency and double the amplitude...so 2 times X0^2 is 4I0...and 0.5 times t^2 = 0.25I0...so 4x0.25=1 Io so answer is B
Q31: force =EQ..and E=V/d, so F =V/d x Q...substitute 200/5x10^-3 x 1.60x10^-19 = 6.4 x 10^-15 so the answer is B....the drop was an electron and as the 2nd page of the exam sas...the charge of the electron is 1.60x10^-19...and to convert 5mm to m we multiply by 10^-3

purple : how we get to know this? .... i mean about frequency.... from graph how do we tell the frequency of any wave ?
yellow : but MS says the answer as A i think,maybe am reading it wrong... check here : http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_ms_1.pdf

thanks alot :)

Reaction score
purple : how we get to know this? .... i mean about frequency.... from graph how do we tell the frequency of any wave ?
yellow : but MS says the answer as A i think,maybe am reading it wrong... check here : http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_ms_1.pdf

thanks alot :)
yes sry its A im the one who read it wrong, but my answer is correct it is 6.4 x 10^-15....and about the frequency..u see how many complete wavelenght in the graph if the X axis is distance..in Wave P, there is 2 complete wavelength or because the graph is time which is s..so there is 2 complete peroids so two complete oscillations..in this king of question u take the frequency in this way beacuse there is no given numbers, but if the x axis was numbered..u get the period which is the time for one wavelegth and F=1/T..so u get the frequency

Reaction score
Can we please go year by year? its very confusing this way. Please?
Yes please! Its getting too confusing this way. :/
How about we make a separate thread for the random MCQ doubts and leave this one for the year by year solving..?

Reaction score
Yes please! Its getting too confusing this way. :/
How about we make a separate thread for the random MCQ doubts and leave this one for the year by year solving..?
i thought of something similar...i thought if making a thread by thread for each year..but it may be a little difficult

Reaction score
Q24:
The amplitude increases 2 times so intensity increases by 2^2 = 4 times
The frequency decreases by 1/2 so intensity decreases by (1/2)^2 = 1/4 times
So net change in intensity= 4 * (1/4) = 1
So intensity is unchanged and is equal to I0
So the answer is B

Q31:
A is correct as the field lines are in the direction of positive charge, and the positive charge is moving in the direction of the field so correct!
B is wrong as direction is wrong!
C and D are wrong because the path should also be into the paper or out of the paper as the dimension should be same!

Q37:
Vt high means the p.d across thermistor is less meaning temperature is high

Vl is high means p.d across LDR is high meaning light level is low

So, C is the answer!

Reaction score
i thought of something similar...i thought if making a thread by thread for each year..but it may be a little difficult
No as in a thread where we start by solving for e.g. June 2002 and everyone only brings doubts from that year and then progressing on that way. A separate thread for each year would be too hectic. :/

Reaction score
No as in a thread where we start by solving for e.g. June 2002 and everyone only brings doubts from that year and then progressing on that way. A separate thread for each year would be too hectic. :/
yes i think it would be better like if we all do 4 -5 papers in morning and all evening and night we can discuss the doubts of each of those 4-5 papers it would be pretty good beucase now somebody is on 2005 some one on 2003-4 and some have started the other way round from 2011 so it does create alot of confusion

Reaction score
Solving MCQ papers on skype is better, my group of friends did that last year, it was great!

Reaction score
Q11. Relative speed of approach = Relative speed of separation.

The formula for this is:

U1 - U2 = V2 - V1
UA - (-UB) = VB - VA
UA + UB = VB - VA

In fact, you don't even need this formula. Just closely look at the diagram. The relative speed of UA and UB is UA + UB, and the relative speed of VA is VB - VA.

Q14.
Note: The rod weights 100g and is at the middle mark (50 cm).

(60 * 20) + (100 * 10) = 50x
x = 44cm.

Q29. We are looking for the value of 'd'.

d sin θ = nλ
d sin 21.5° = 2 * 590 * 10^-9 (21.5 because we need the angle between the central max and 2nd order, not both 2nd orders)
d = 3.2 μm.

Q36. Find the total current in the circuit, it's 2/(Total Resistance) = 2/7.5 = 0.266A

At X, the voltage is 0.266 * 5 = 1.33V (V=IR)
At Y, the voltage is 0.266 * 10 = 2.66V

The difference between them is 2.66 - 1.33 = 1.33V.

Now see which option is correct.

In A, 2/3 * 2 = 1.33V. Therefore A is right.
Thank you very much. God bless you. :)

Reaction score
Solving MCQ papers on skype is better, my group of friends did that last year, it was great!
that would be good too but the problem is we will have to make group of 3-4 people or else server gets bussy i reckon we can do that for doubts which are really difficult hard to capture from here

Reaction score
i may have a small idea..starting from tommorow june 4..we start only with june 2003 to june 2005 ..2 years in one day and we continue till we finish...4 qualified ppl from here to be choosen and divide the four exams on them every 1 of them post the explanation for the tough questoins of each year...i think that may work but i want to listen to your opinion first ppl

Reaction score
i may have a small idea..starting from tommorow june 4..we start only with june 2003 to june 2005 ..2 years in one day and we continue till we finish...4 qualified ppl from here to be choosen and divide the four exams on them every 1 of them post the explanation for the tough questoins of each year...i think that may work but i want to listen to your opinion first ppl
I second that idea. (y)

Reaction score
Q5:the time period is 0.7cm...do the conversoin of cm and mm and multiply the time base which is 10mscm^-1 do get an answer then the frequeny is 1/this answer and so it is B..
Q9: you must draw a tangent to get the answer
Q20: for a rubber band..the force is proportional to the extensoin but at the elastic limit, a large force is needed to for a small increase in the extension so it is A
Q27: imagine that you are the one who the electric field comes from..the direction of the field will be from you to the computer..and then the electron passes from your left arm to your right through the field..so because you are the source of the field you r +vely charged so you will attract the electron towards you and o the answer is D
Q 28: don't know
Q40:we know that the charge and momentum will be conserved..and as we know the nucleon number is conserved too so if the nucleon number, which is the total amount of protons and NEUTRONS, is conserved so C is the answer as only the neutron number is not conserved alone..wish i helped