• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score
may june 2003 .. question 3?

the angle left behind after you do 180 - 120 = 60. Now just resolve the 10 N to get the horizontal component, which is 10cos(60) = 5
The 5N and the 10N are in opposite directions so subtract them you get 5 N, and so the answer is A. Here is a picture...

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
the angle left behind after you do 180 - 120 = 60. Now just resolve the 10 N to get the horizontal component, which is 10cos(60) = 5
The 5N and the 10N are in opposite directions so subtract them you get 5 N, and so the answer is A. Here is a picture...

thank you :)))

Reaction score
15) there are three forces of 10 N. resolve all of them in one direction. i prefer to do this one with y-axis. the upper two forces would give (by Fcosθ)
10cos30 + 10cos30 = 8.66+8.66 = 17.32
this is the upward force along the dotted line.
(the dotted line represents the y-axis because other angles are given in reference to this)
the third line of 10N is along the dotted line but in opposite direction so simply subtract this from the greater one calculated earlier, i.e, 17.32 - 10 = 7.3N

Reaction score
^ well i have a question from the same paper (http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w06_qp_1.pdf). In question 28 the correct answer is A, but it says blowing air over the top of an empty bottle not "into" the bottle. And option B seems so to be the better option because the sound waves would reflect from the mountain and interfere with the waves to produce a stationary wave.... Anyone who could help me with this problem???? Thanks in advance.:)

Reaction score
^ well i have a question from the same paper (http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w06_qp_1.pdf). In question 28 the correct answer is A, but it says blowing air over the top of an empty bottle not "into" the bottle. And option B seems so to be the better option because the sound waves would reflect from the mountain and interfere with the waves to produce a stationary wave.... Anyone who could help me with this problem???? Thanks in advance.:)
when blowing the air over the bottle it means the same as blowing into it because air disturbed at the top would cause wave formation in the bottle. (the concept of resonance) stationary waves are produced by interference of two waves exactly same but in opposite direction... (like at 180°)
making a loud sound near a mountain would cause reverberation to occur, or the waves would echo off into different directions, so there isn't a surety of stationary waves forming.
that's what i understood of the question :) hope it helps, otherwise there's always someone else with a better explanation :)

Reaction score
when blowing the air over the bottle it means the same as blowing into it because air disturbed at the top would cause wave formation in the bottle. (the concept of resonance) stationary waves are produced by interference of two waves exactly same but in opposite direction... (like at 180°)
making a loud sound near a mountain would cause reverberation to occur, or the waves would echo off into different directions, so there isn't a surety of stationary waves forming.
that's what i understood of the question :) hope it helps, otherwise there's always someone else with a better explanation :)
Thanks for the reply.......after thinking for sometime i think i found another problem with option B. It says "making a loud sound......" which means the sound is not continuous like clapping your hands just once and that won't produce a stationary wave. anyways thanx again. I get it now

Reaction score
May/june 2002
Question:
em weak in physics :(
Thnx in advance :)

Reaction score
can someone please explain to me question 19

isn't work done in a gas = p * V ?
so there is loss of energy overall

Attachments

• 8702_s01_p1.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Reaction score
Q5:the time period is 0.7cm...do the conversoin of cm and mm and multiply the time base which is 10mscm^-1 do get an answer then the frequeny is 1/this answer and so it is B..
Q9: you must draw a tangent to get the answer
Q20: for a rubber band..the force is proportional to the extensoin but at the elastic limit, a large force is needed to for a small increase in the extension so it is A
Q27: imagine that you are the one who the electric field comes from..the direction of the field will be from you to the computer..and then the electron passes from your left arm to your right through the field..so because you are the source of the field you r +vely charged so you will attract the electron towards you and o the answer is D
Q 28: don't know
Q40:we know that the charge and momentum will be conserved..and as we know the nucleon number is conserved too so if the nucleon number, which is the total amount of protons and NEUTRONS, is conserved so C is the answer as only the neutron number is not conserved alone..wish i helped
really impressed by the explanation to Q27...i was trying so hard since O level to figure out some imagination of this sort for these questions...thnx n best of luck

Reaction score
can someone please explain to me question 19

isn't work done in a gas = p * V ?
so there is loss of energy overall

In A,B and D, work is done because energy has been converted from one form to another. In C, energy isn't transformed so no work is done.

Reaction score
ANYONE PLS QUES 10 and 20 ??? with detail explanation pls
10: The two blocks are being accelerated together. So find acceleration using: F = (4m)a => a = F/4m.
Force on block Y, Fy = mass of y x acceleration
=> Fy = (3m)(F/4m)
So, Fy = 3/4 F (D)

20: Initially, there's only atm pressure, P0, on the liquid surface. Then the straw lowers the pressure over one part of the liquid surface to 0.90 P0. For the liquid column in the straw:
pressure at the bottom = 0.90 P0
pressure at the top = P0
=> pressure due to the liquid column = (1 - 0.90) P0 = 0.10 P0
=> 0.10 P0 = pgh
=> h = P0/ 10pg

Reaction score
10: The two blocks are being accelerated together. So find acceleration using: F = (4m)a => a = F/4m.
Force on block Y, Fy = mass of y x acceleration
=> Fy = (3m)(F/4m)
So, Fy = 3/4 F (D)

20: Initially, there's only atm pressure, P0, on the liquid surface. Then the straw lowers the pressure over one part of the liquid surface to 0.90 P0. For the liquid column in the straw:
pressure at the bottom = 0.90 P0
pressure at the top = P0
=> pressure due to the liquid column = (1 - 0.90) P0 = 0.10 P0
=> 0.10 P0 = pgh
=> h = P0/ 10pg
thanks alot abcde bt still i did not got the pressure part why u minus .9 frm 1 :S thts where i am stucking

Reaction score
How do we do this? What I did was to find the resultant force down the slope(taking the friction force into account) then use that force to find the acceleration, and then use the formula v^2= 2as where s is 7m. I got 9.5m/s, which is not even in the options!!Fullscreen capture 642012 103258 AM.bmp.jpg

Reaction score
Question no 8 pls i have gone for C but its A why ???? :( :(

Attachments

• 9702_w03_qp_1.pdf
    144.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9702_w03_ms.pdf
    157.2 KB · Views: 2