• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
i saw a bio experiment
it is abt finding out whether carbon dioxide is given off during fermentation
it goes lyk dis:
add few grains of yeast to distilled water. stir
after 20 min add eq vol of glucose to yeast suspension. add a litle oil on top of it
the question is that wat does the layer of oil serve as?

Reaction score
i saw a bio experiment
it goes lyk dis:
after 20 min add eq vol of glucose to yeast suspension. add a litle oil on top of it
it acts as a barrier , prevents air/oxygen to enter the flask/beaker/watever it is.
because for fermentation , no oxygen should be present

Reaction score
i saw a bio experiment
it goes lyk dis:
Yeast should respire anaerobically so the oil prevents oxygen from entering the experiment !!

Reaction score
it acts as a barrier , prevents air/oxygen to enter the flask/beaker/watever it is.
because for fermentation , no oxygen should be present
but then how wud carbon dioxide will be distinguished cz they were connecting that test tube wid another one that contained limewater so obviosly wen CO2 will make it abv the oil nd reach till the next tube, only den it will b made sure that CO2 has evolved?

Reaction score
but then how wud carbon dioxide will be distinguished cz they were connecting that test tube wid another one that contained limewater so obviosly wen CO2 will make it abv the oil nd reach till the next tube, only den it will b made sure that CO2 has evolved?
lol , use your mind .. CO2 can pass through the connecting tube because it is inserted INSIDE the test tube containing the suspension .. got it ?

Reaction score

asd

Reaction score
During anaerobic respiration, bubbles are produced which when burst give off CO2. So CO2 then can easily go through the tube to lime water and turn it milky.

asd

Reaction score
they come out from the same part...:D
This is totally shit, I've seen pictures-some show they come out from the same point on the testa, while others show that plumule grow out from the top, and radicle from the bottom/middle of the testa.

Reaction score
This is totally shit, I've seen pictures-some show they come out from the same point on the testa, while others show that plumule grow out from the top, and radicle from the bottom/middle of the testa.

And then i think the pictures were misleading because both do come from the same point and if u have done MCQs and Theory papers u will know for urself that it comes from the same place :D

If u want a proof ill tell u the papers year ! :p

Reaction score
hey guys i need ur help !!!! can any1 tell me where can we find specimen papers ??? can some one please post the link i cant find it :/ i will be watng :(

Reaction score
hey guys i need ur help !!!! can any1 tell me where can we find specimen papers ??? can some one please post the link i cant find it :/ i will be watng :(
i guess there are none ... the paper pattern hasn't changed for like 15-30 years i think. and neither will
even if there are any they would be really old and impossible to find.

Reaction score
Q.5 An experiment was carried out to measure the rate of reaction between excess powdered calcium carbonate and dilute acids.
(a) In Experiment 1, 25 cm3 of 1.5 mol/dm3 hydrochloric acid was used. Complete the equation for the reaction by filling in the missing state symbols.

(i) 2HCl(……..) + CaCO3(……..) → CaCl2(aq) + H2O (……..) + CO2(……..)

(ii) Calculate the total volume of carbon dioxide that is made from this reaction at r.t.p.

Help needed with (a)(ii)!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Q.5 An experiment was carried out to measure the rate of reaction between excess powdered calcium carbonate and dilute acids.
(a) In Experiment 1, 25 cm3 of 1.5 mol/dm3 hydrochloric acid was used. Complete the equation for the reaction by filling in the missing state symbols.

(ii) Calculate the total volume of carbon dioxide that is made from this reaction at r.t.p.

(i) 2HCl (aq) + CaCO3 (s) → CaCl2(aq) + H2O (l) + CO2 (g)

(ii) no. of moles of HCL = 1.5 * 25/1000 = 0.0375 mol
2 : 1
0.0375: x
2x = 0.0375
x = 0.01875 * 24 = 0.45 dm^3

Reaction score

Multiply 25 with 1.5 =37.5
Now divide the answer by 1000
It will be 0.0375
Now from the equation u can see tht 2 moles of hcl react with one mole of carbondioxide so divide answer by 2
0.0375/2=0.01875
Now mltiply this answer with 24 to find volume
0.01875x24= 0.45

Reaction score
Multiply 25 with 1.5 =37.5
Now divide the answer by 1000
It will be 0.0375
Now from the equation u can see tht 2 moles of hcl react with one mole of carbondioxide so divide answer by 2
0.0375/2=0.01875
Now mltiply this answer with 24 to find volume
0.01875x24= 0.45
Your late :p Haha :LOL: