• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
but my teacher said that that neutralization has two products; salt and water. m confused. can any1 plz confirm it? its my exam 2mrw :'(

Reaction score
Scoursfic u r surely right, this is given as one of the characteristics of acids in many book,however u must be aware that Calcium carbonate is also used in liming or reducing the acidty of soil which means it acts as an alkali. So when an acid reacts with with alkali nuetralization reaction occur( do correct me if i am wrong about how it can be nuetralization since in this only salt and water are formed) We must modify the revision notes if its wrong

Hope this helped
oh guys carbonate is a base

Reaction score
discuss the way in which the type of radiation emitted and the half-life determine the use for the
material.???

Reaction score
but HCL is an Acid and CaCO3 is a base, then that would be neutrilization reaction wouldn't it?

how can u be sure abt it ? if u have a proof we all want to know then because i want to clarify this so if u have it tell me !
Also ill ask some pros in this matter !

Reaction score
but what does the book say? And most importantly what do u say? it ain't a neutrilization reaction?

Reaction score
Im starting to think it is but im still not satisfied at it being a neutralization reaction but ill try making an ionic eq which symbolises neutralization reaction of the reaction between metal carbonates and acids u also try !

The book doesnt tell abt it it just tells it under the heading of characteristic acid reactions and neutralization reactions explained in another heading !

Reaction score
dude it doesnt tell abt neutralization anywhere there but if it does tell me because i didnt see it !

I get the following ionic equation for the reaction between CaCO3 and HCl
Which is different from the general acid base neutralization reactions !
CaCO3 + 2H+ ---> Ca2+ + H2O + CO2COCaCO3(s) + 2H+(aq) ---> Ca2+ + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
3(s)
(aq)
+
O
(l)
+ CO
2(g)