• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
WAT??? heat IS transferred due to the movement of the free elecrons as they move and transfer their kinetic energy to the next electron and so on....
and if what u say is true and it is NOT b/c of electrons then explain y heat is only transfered (best) by metals [which have free electrons] and not by insulators like wood [which do not have free electrons] ??
oh hello thats conduction and thats when the particles vibrate vigourously they pass energy from particle to particle...want to see my resources?? :D

Reaction score
u can minimise it by using a container with shiny, white covering as black, dull surfaces are best absorbers and emitters of heat. :)

nah no need to say thanx ;)
well in a solid, when it is heated the particles get extra energy and start vibrating, when they vibrate they pass some energy to the atom next to them which also gives off heat and so on a so forth until the whole thing is heated.

The process is called conduction.

Reaction score
nah no need to say thanx ;)
well in a solid, when it is heated the particles get extra energy and start vibrating, when they vibrate they pass some energy to the atom next to them which also gives off heat and so on a so forth until the whole thing is heated.

The process is called conduction.
Excuse my interruption but i wanna pop ur bubble ryt here cuz i replied to the fact that the dude said that heat IS NOT TRNASFERED IN METALS DUE TO ELECTRONS which is WRONG!! [and i don't even care to display my resources here. my words are enough] :p there was no talk of conduction or convection!! u brought that on urself. we were talking about whether electorns are responsible for transfer of heat in metals and i still say yes.!! :whistle: :coffee:

Reaction score
Excuse my interruption but i wanna pop ur bubble ryt here cuz i replied to the fact that the dude said that heat IS NOT TRNASFERED IN METALS DUE TO ELECTRONS which is WRONG!! [and i don't even care to display my resources here. my words are enough] :p there was no talk of conduction or convection!! u brought that on urself. we were talking about whether electorns are responsible for transfer of heat in metals and i still say yes.!! :whistle: :coffee:
your wrong..:D

Reaction score
Another confusion everyone *heads up* :p

When we label the axes on a graph, if one of the axes is supposed to be 'nuber of sth.' lets say "number of bounces" and is represented as "N" . how do we write it?? i mean we can't write the unit for it but we are supposed to label the graph like "l/cm" ryt?? shud we leave it at that or what??

Reaction score
really?? then pl elaborate so that i don't get it wrong in my exam. :)
look...
in conduction, the molecules of the solid vibrate vigourously (for obv reasons) and they pass their kinetic energy but hitting the other molecules and thus heat travels..
let me ask you a question , how would the electrons carry heat?? they move on a orbit ..:|
plus the convection is movement of molecules so that can never happen in a solid (for obv reasons) :)

Reaction score
look...
in conduction, the molecules of the solid vibrate vigourously (for obv reasons) and they pass their kinetic energy but hitting the other molecules and thus heat travels..
let me ask you a question , how would the electrons carry heat?? they move on a orbit ..:|
plus the convection is movement of molecules so that can never happen in a solid (for obv reasons) :)
But this is mentioned in the book tht electrons also take part in conduction of heat !

Reaction score
Reaction score
Another confusion everyone *heads up* :p

When we label the axes on a graph, if one of the axes is supposed to be 'nuber of sth.' lets say "number of bounces" and is represented as "N" . how do we write it?? i mean we can't write the unit for it but we are supposed to label the graph like "l/cm" ryt?? shud we leave it at that or what??
please rephrase your question!! :D

Reaction score
Whaat is the the difference between Van der wall forces, Strong covalent forces and electrostatic attraction?

Reaction score
Whaat is the the difference between Van der wall forces, Strong covalent forces and electrostatic attraction?
vann der wall forces are weak forces that exist bw water molecules they are weak! strong covalent bonds are very strong and exist bw for eg diamond which make it hard electrostatic forces are the intermolecular forces b/w molecules...:)

Reaction score
look...
the electrons are not in orbit, they are delocalised over the whole metallic structure. The heat is transferred by electrons in the same way that they get heated up, and speed up. As they are not fixed like other atoms of metal, they move to the cold parts of metal which they then heat by conduction.
So in actuality, there are two methods of conduction in metals: by vibration of molecules, and through electron transfer!