• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
that is because they are good conductors of current not heat...
for heat they use the vigourous vibrating
please go ahead and show me the resource
i spent like an hour or so got nothing but juts the heat transfer due to atoms..:|
please let me know so that i can concede defeat till then
:cool:
Resource is my physix booK (blue coloured) Lam Peng or whatever

Reaction score
Reaction score
the electrons are not in orbit, they are delocalised over the whole metallic structure. The heat is transferred by electrons in the same way that they get heated up, and speed up. As they are not fixed like other atoms of metal, they move to the cold parts of metal which they then heat by conduction.
So in actuality, there are two methods of conduction in metals: by vibration of molecules, and through electron transfer!
like i said electron transfer?? does not make much of a sense!! :eek:

Reaction score
that is because they are good conductors of current not heat...
for heat they use the vigourous vibrating
please go ahead and show me the resource
i spent like an hour or so got nothing but juts the heat transfer due to atoms..:|
please let me know so that i can concede defeat till then
:cool:
i can't believe u ust said tht!! dude CUNDUCTORS are good materials for the transfer of electricity AND HEAT! explain my question that y do u feel hot instantly after u hold a pan by its metal case but not so much by its wooden handle?? becuase the wooden handle has no atoms???!! i don't think so. its becuz wood has no FREE ELECTRONS so heat transfer is slow!! plzzz understand this or call ur physics/chem teacher RIGHT NOW!! and get clear on this. it was just 1 mark in the mcq but in question/answers u never know what they will ask about it and u'll go down from there if u don't clear it.!! :cry: *urgghh* :|

Reaction score
i can't believe u ust said tht!! dude CUNDUCTORS are good materials for the transfer of electricity AND HEAT! explain my question that y do u feel hot instantly after u hold a pan by its metal case but not so much by its wooden handle?? becuase the wooden handle has no atoms???!! i don't think so. its becuz wood has no FREE ELECTRONS so heat transfer is slow!! plzzz understand this or call ur physics/chem teacher RIGHT NOW!! and get clear on this. it was just 1 mark in the mcq but in question/answers u never know what they will ask about it and u'll go down from there if u don't clear it.!! :cry: *urgghh* :|
http://www.kwoodward.dsl.pipex.com/sfa/id81.htm

Reaction score
it doesnt
differentiate between atoms and electrons dude...:D
electrons transfer only comes when it comes to fluids..(y)
Higher levels:
1x1.gif

Metals are particularly good conductors of heat because their particles are very closely packed so the vibrations are passed on very quickly. They also contain large numbers of "free electrons". These drift slowly through the structure, giving metals their strength and other properties. As the metal is heated, the free electrons closest to the heat source are heated. This makes them move faster and they travel through the metal, colliding with both atoms and other electrons. This naturally makes these vibrate faster (or move through the metal faster - in the case of collisions with other free electrons). Thus the heat is passed quickly through the metal.
ur post says this

Reaction score
Higher levels:
1x1.gif

Metals are particularly good conductors of heat because their particles are very closely packed so the vibrations are passed on very quickly. They also contain large numbers of "free electrons". These drift slowly through the structure, giving metals their strength and other properties. As the metal is heated, the free electrons closest to the heat source are heated. This makes them move faster and they travel through the metal, colliding with both atoms and other electrons. This naturally makes these vibrate faster (or move through the metal faster - in the case of collisions with other free electrons). Thus the heat is passed quickly through the metal.
ur post says this
:)
ok..happy now i believe you...
ab ja kar is he khushi mein nahalo!! :D
daredevil so you disturb you like that but i just wanted to know what is correct and whats not....peace...