• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
What was the answer to that large piston moving less distance?

I wrote it has greater cross sectional area, so it moves lesser distance to accommodate the same volume of oil. :/

Reaction score
Wrong.. F was the amount by which it increased
Like I said earlier, the force exerted due to the pressure was the amount by which it increased. Suppose when nothing is pulled or pushed, the force due to the pressure of the water molecules on the piston is 10N. When you pull the lever 166N is applied. Total force is 176. Increase is 176 - 10 = 166. 5/1.5 is the ratio of the areas of the pistons and has nothing to do with increase in force.

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, the force exerted due to the pressure was the amount by which it increased. Suppose when nothing is pulled or pushed, the force due to the pressure of the water molecules on the piston is 10N. When you pull the lever 166N is applied. Total force is 176. Increase is 176 - 10 = 166. 5/1.5 is the ratio of the areas of the pistons and has nothing to do with increase in force.

You should have read the question properly, instead of blindly assuming that F was the force on the large piston, which it wasn't.

Reaction score
Ap jo wapda wale hai. Hum logo ki dimakh ki bhatti bhujadi :p
From the formula you get 166.7. I have no idea how you got 3.33 :confused:

Well, The exact words of the question:

''The force increases by F''...

So simply you had to state the ratio by which it increases. 5/1.5
Or the longer path, calculating 166.6 and dividing by 33.3.