• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 6 ( ATP)

Reaction score
1. dilute the 10% penicillin to prepare various concentrations.
2. Soak the filter paper discs in different concentrations of penicillin
3. On the petri dishes where bacteria are growing, discs are placed after covering with lid, the plates are incubated at 37degrees for 24 hrs.
4. after 24 hrs the diameter of clear areas around discs is measured
5. Formation on clear areas determines the concentration of penicillin required to kill bacteria.
Thank you:)ur a genius:p

Reaction score
1. dilute the 10% penicillin to prepare various concentrations.
2. Soak the filter paper discs in different concentrations of penicillin
3. On the petri dishes where bacteria are growing, discs are placed after covering with lid, the plates are incubated at 37degrees for 24 hrs.
4. after 24 hrs the diameter of clear areas around discs is measured
5. Formation on clear areas determines the concentration of penicillin required to kill bacteria.

wow niceee...you know so much about this complicated stufff ;)

Reaction score
For paper 6 just read all the expirements u have taken in the syllabus and 100% he will ask from them addition to that u must know how to draw perfectly if u are not a good drawer it will be better to divide the picture given into squares and then draw bigger squares in the area provided and copy it and it will be enlarged but this will take time, next is the magnification which is = DRAWING/ACTUAL u just take any length from the drawing you made and divide it by the crossponding length of the drawing given and in the graphs you should know how to know the difference between the bar chart, histogram and line graph.
FOR NOW memorize the expirements quickly and solve past papers as much as you can and dont forget to time your self and if u exceeded the time try to finish before the time by 20-25 minutes to have time to revise in the IGCSE EXAM,... WELL I HOPE THIS GIVES YOU AND IDEA ABOUT WHAT TO DO AND TO ALL XTREMEPAPERS VISITORS AND INSHALLAH WE WILL ALL GET A* (Pray for me):):):):p

Reaction score
HEY I NEED URGENT HELP.......HOW DO U TEST THE PRESENCE OF STOMATA??
PLZ REPLY QUICK!

Reaction score
PLZ REPLY QUICK!
- place a leaf between 2 pieces of dry cobalt chloride paper and sandwich the leaf between them held in position by rubber bands.
- note the colour of the papers
- it turns pink because it comes in contact with water vapours which diffuse out of the leaf through stomata.

Reaction score
Fallen316.......really? isnt tht to compare the rates of transpiration of the upper nd lower surfaces of the leaf??my book says so
there is a separate test given to test the presence of stomata which i cant get!

Reaction score
Fallen316.......really? isnt tht to compare the rates of transpiration of the upper nd lower surfaces of the leaf??my book says so
there is a separate test given to test the presence of stomata which i cant get!
this experiment is also used for that too.
for e.g the same experiment is used to show that animals use o2 during respiration and give out CO2 while respiration.
one experiment can be used to proof two things.

Reaction score
PLZ REPLY QUICK!
By applying a Nail Vanish in the bottom of the leaves
And then stick a tape to it
Remove the tape and this will remove the lower epiderm of the leave
Test it under a light microscope and count the number of stomata in 3 different views
Repeat and take the average

Reaction score
does bieuret reagent only tests proteins or it also gives a positive result wid amino acids?

Reaction score
Auxins are the growth hormones in plants. They are produced at the tips of the plant shoots. They cause the elongation of the cells and cause growth.
In positive phototropism, the auxins accumulate at the side of darkness leading to rapid growth in this side. This causes the shoot to grow inthe direction of light. In negative geotropism the auxins accumulate at the side of the darkness but the high concentration of auxins inhibit the growth in this side. Therefore the root grows away from light. In the positive geotropism, the auxins accumulate at the side of gravity. It inhibits growth at this side causing the growth at the opposite side bending of root towards gravity. In the negative geotropism, the auxins accumulate at the lower side of the shoot causing growth in this side leading to the bending of the shoot away from gravity.
They are used as weed killers, used in food processing industry to prevent the bananas from ripening, growth of sugar cane at low temperature. Another use of auxins is in root cutting. The grower cut off apiece of parent plant and dip its base into a hormone rooting powder and place it in damp compost. The powder contains auxin which stimulate new roots to grow from the cut stem and the newly formed plant has the same characteristics as the parent plant.

I hope this helps you daredevil!
:confused: dis is sooo confusing ....btw i don't think so dis is in our syllabus??