• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry 42....how did it go?..expected GT

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure -OH is right, there isn't any other group there in the molecule which is likely to get broken down somehow.

ATP with water? Nah

And ofcourse, oxygen is soluble in water, LOL! How do you think the aquatic life exists? I'm not sure about my answer too, well lets see hope for the best :p

0 for [co] 1 for [complex ion]
mechanism 2

peg dissolves in long hydrocarbon chain, that molecule dissolves in water coz of H bonding, part of the drug dissolves and can be easily carried around the body.

One indication that oxygen is not very soluble in water is that you will collect it over water in ur P5 experiments. If it were soluble in water, then it would all dissolve, and you wouldn't have any to test. But the biggest experiment of all is to point out the planetEarth. Earth has a huge volume devoted to water, and an atmosphere of 21% oxygen. If oxygen were very soluble in water, it would all dissolve, and there wouldn't be any students to do experiments nor teachers to grade them. ;p

Reaction score
in the reaction kinetics question the first part was 6 marks and the second part 4 marks right?

and the group digested in stomach is ester group which is hydrolysed
OH group does not react with enzymes

it is not possible to find hydration enthalpy of O2- ions as they react with water molecules and do not stay as free ions

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure -OH is right, there isn't any other group there in the molecule which is likely to get broken down somehow.

ATP with water? Nah

And ofcourse, oxygen is soluble in water, LOL! How do you think the aquatic life exists? I'm not sure about my answer too, well lets see hope for the best :p

0 for [co] 1 for [complex ion]
mechanism 2

peg dissolves in long hydrocarbon chain, that molecule dissolves in water coz of H bonding, part of the drug dissolves and can be easily carried around the body.
i said when oxygen is dissolved in water there is no temp change so enthalpy cannot be measured. This is correct i think

and oxygen is obviously soluble in water

Reaction score
One indication that oxygen is not very soluble in water is that you will collect it over water in ur P5 experiments. If it were soluble in water, then it would all dissolve, and you wouldn't have any to test. But the biggest experiment of all is to point out the planetEarth. Earth has a huge volume devoted to water, and an atmosphere of 21% oxygen. If oxygen were very soluble in water, it would all dissolve, and there wouldn't be any students to do experiments nor teachers to grade them. ;p
Yes, solubility increases with decrease in temperature?

Anyway, might lose one here, a few in the organic questions too maybe. Let's see, still hoping for 90+

Reaction score
this is from oct/nov 2007's markscheme (chem paper 4)

"Energy is provided by the breakdown/hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) [1]
ATP (+ H2O) → ADP + Pi (+ energy) or in words [1]
ATP is produced during respiration/Krebs cycle/oxidation of glucose, fats or proteins/
in mitochondria/ADP is recycled"

The +H2O is written in brackets and energy too, it's optional. They won't cut marks if u didn't write H2O i guess. How many marks was it for anyway?

Reaction score
this is from oct/nov 2007's markscheme (chem paper 4)

"Energy is provided by the breakdown/hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) [1]
ATP (+ H2O) → ADP + Pi (+ energy) or in words [1]
ATP is produced during respiration/Krebs cycle/oxidation of glucose, fats or proteins/
in mitochond4ria/ADP is recycled"

The +H2O is written in brackets and energy too, it's optional. They won't cut marks if u didn't write H2O i guess. How many marks was it for anyway?
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/v70-608
These says thy oder of reaction was 1 1 nd overall was 2 ?

Reaction score
it says it's 1st order with respect to the ion and o with CO, so 1st order overall
I hope u r rite. Cuz I did the same but the link above states nothing to the point no offence or maybe I cnt understand:p.
Neways I hope it is write war u said ....
Guys pls answer clearly...
Did u attaach fat soluble to OH or hydrocarbon chain in PEG*?*

Reaction score
fat soluble is attached to the hydrocarbon tails which make up the hydrophobic part of the molecule.

Reaction score
I hope u r rite. Cuz I did the same but the link above states nothing to the point no offence or maybe I cnt understand:p.
Neways I hope it is write war u said ....
Guys pls answer clearly...
Did u attaach fat soluble to OH or hydrocarbon chain in PEG*?*
Um wasnt it attach to the OH groups? Because I remember it being a repeated question

Reaction score
Um wasnt it attach to the OH groups? Because I remember it being a repeated question
LOL i did the same attached to OH but this was a soluble fat so hence may be shdhave attached to hydrocarbon chain . In the PST ppr it is attached to OH but it is written drug overthere not fat soluble.........:/