• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry doubts..ask here!

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
tar"]
Ahh, sorry man, I didn't read the previous pages.. Thanks for the explanation of the salt anyway, incase it does come..

I hope it goes as well as Physics paper 6, and nowhere near as bad as biology paper 6..

Before the exams started I was more nervous about Bio than Chemistry, but now it's totally changed round :/
no problem :)
:D

Reaction score
haochen said:

from where r u ??
in ur wall when i check its all chinese :D

seriously...umm..maybe u have something with ur settings because believe me there is no way i would understand that..
lets keep my nationality my own lil secret but i speak arabic..well i guess it would be easy to guess lol

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
haochen said:

from where r u ??

seriously...umm..maybe u have something with ur settings because believe me there is no way i would understand that..
lets keep my nationality my own lil secret but i speak arabic..well i guess it would be easy to guess lol

im talking about the thing u did :)
its not easy :D
SAudi, yemani, egyptian, lebanese, syrian, ...........alot more :D

Reaction score
Hey for the chloride test we could use lead nitrate right? (results: white precipiate)

Reaction score
shan5674 said:
Hey for the chloride test we could use lead nitrate right? (results: white precipiate)

ya you could use that or you could even use silver nitrate ( something extra you could add nitric acid to makre sure there are no carbonates)
but basically yup
oh and for iodine , you can use the same thing but the result will be yellow

Reaction score
haochen said:
narutogirl said:
haochen said:

from where r u ??

im talking about the thing u did :)
its not easy :D
SAudi, yemani, egyptian, lebanese, syrian, ...........alot more :D

umm what thing :p ??
and i am one of those nationalities written above..lol :p

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
shan5674 said:

ya you could use that or you could even use silver nitrate ( something extra you could add nitric acid to makre sure there are no carbonates)
but basically yup
oh and for iodine , you can use the same thing but the result will be yellow

Reaction score
Hey another question,

You know the graph questions where they ask us to sketch a graph on the grid, in confused, how do i know when the graph is suppose to be steeper and when it is suppose to be below the original :S

HELPPP :D

Reaction score
narutogirl...i m having trouble with chromotography..in many question in the past papers i have to draw a diagram of chromotography....

Reaction score
shan5674 said:
Hey another question,

You know the graph questions where they ask us to sketch a graph on the grid, in confused, how do i know when the graph is suppose to be steeper and when it is suppose to be below the original :S

for example if the graph is for 50 degrees Celsius...and they say u do predict and sketch a graph if the temperature was 25 degree celcious so i think u have to sketck it below original or vice versa...if that was your question... :unknown:

Reaction score
skinnyboyfat said:
narutogirl...i m having trouble with chromotography..in many question in the past papers i have to draw a diagram of chromotography....

Main points are: The chromatogram, the solvent used, the solvent level must not be above the origin line..
Make sure you are able to describe the methods of applying them too.

Reaction score
shan5674 said:
Hey another question,

well by knowing which reaction was faster..it depends some factors (am gonna say what makes the graph steeper)
1) the concentration of teh gradient if the other reaction had same volume but more conc. then it is steeper
2)surface the area..the larger the surface area the faster, the steeper the grave (like using the powdered form of a reactant)
3)temperature..the higher the temp..the more steeper
4)using a catalyst..steeper..(if they ask about 2 different catalysts..the one that produces a steeper curve is the better cataylst)
5)pressure, higher pressure..steeper curve

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
skinnyboyfat said:

Main points are: The chromatogram, the solvent used, the solvent level must not be above the origin line..
Make sure you are able to describe the methods of applying them too.

thanks a lot....

Reaction score
i simple question guys...not much of chemistry invovled..which is the biggest????? 1)milky way 2)galaxy 3)earth 4)mars

Reaction score
skinnyboyfat said:

it is a very frequent question
so you have to know a few things if we want to decribe an experiemnt to seperate colour or dyes you have to say chromatography paper (u have to say the word paper because there are other types of chromatography lost marks because didn't say it once)
anyway also know that we use pencil to draw the base line because if we used ink it would interfere with the experiment and since pencil is insoluble
also remember to use a suitable locating agent if u are testing for glucose or amino acid since they are colourless

so am going to write a small paragraph about it how to set up an experiment:
We use chromotography paper since it is used to identify colours. we bring the chromatography paper and draw a baseline with pencil, we place the the sample on the baseline;the baseline should be above the solvent level they shouldn't meet. we put a suitable solvent, then according to the solubility of each colour present in the sample, spots will be seen.

ohh and remember if only one spot is seen then it means it is a pure sample

here is a picture of what it is like..but when drawing it put like 2 spots or watever according the question
http://www.practicalchemistry.org/p...ate/food/chromatography-of-sweets,194,EX.html

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
skinnyboyfat said:

it is a very frequent question
so you have to know a few things if we want to decribe an experiemnt to seperate colour or dyes you have to say chromatography paper (u have to say the word paper because there are other types of chromatography lost marks because didn't say it once)
anyway also know that we use pencil to draw the base line because if we used ink it would interfere with the experiment and since pencil is insoluble
also remember to use a suitable locating agent if u are testing for glucose or amino acid since they are colourless

so am going to write a small paragraph about it how to set up an experiment:
We use chromotography paper since it is used to identify colours. we bring the chromatography paper and draw a baseline with pencil, we place the the sample on the baseline;the baseline should be above the solvent level they shouldn't meet. we put a suitable solvent, then according to the solubility of each colour present in the sample, spots will be seen.

ohh and remember if only one spot is seen then it means it is a pure sample

here is a picture of what it is like..but when drawing it put like 2 spots or watever according the question
http://www.practicalchemistry.org/p...ate/food/chromatography-of-sweets,194,EX.html

such a frequent question and i m learning it a day b4 the exam...oh my GOD...anyways as usual helped a lot

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have doubt with the graph questions
If they tell to sketch the graph for example 50 degree celsius which is above the temperature specified in the question then i know that the graph should be steeper but i dont know whether the concentration of a substance at the end of the reaction should be same or not while drawing the graph and this is the case for all conditions like when using a catalyst,using a higher concentration acid and using a acid with higher moles :oops: :cry:
:unknown:

Plz someone help me with this thing !!!
:wink: