• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P41 How was it?

How hard was it?

• Easy

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • medium

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Hard!!!

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Ok good. What about the next part of the question, where there were like 4 reagents and they said observations. Was it in each column one was no reaction and the other gives a product?

Reaction score
Y
Ok good. What about the next part of the question, where there were like 4 reagents and they said observations. Was it in each column one was no reaction and the other gives a product?
yea
It was the phenol with the side chain doesn't oxidize

Reaction score
U got 24 too
It was to the right cuz Ecell was positive
Ok can you please explain to me how you got that 25? You seem like a smart person and I didn't get that answer so now I'm kind of freaking out. I got 2.5 x 10^9. I know it's a big number but I checked it a million times and this is how I got it. I did it the same way another poster on this thread did it.

Reaction score
It was more towards the products side

but it was EQUILIBRIUM ...plus there was no change in temp, pressure or concen. of any reactants and no catatlyst to increase the rate ....i dont knw but i wrote conc. remains equal on both sides of the equation :(
the reduction potential just tels us if the reaction (forward) is feasible or not

Reaction score
Ok can you please explain to me how you got that 25? You seem like a smart person and I didn't get that answer so now I'm kind of freaking out. I got 2.5 x 10^9. I know it's a big number but I checked it a million times and this is how I got it. I did it the same way another poster on this thread did it.

dnt freak out ...we dnt knw yet which answer is correct ....if anyway u got it wrong ..i am sure u'll get awarded for the method

Reaction score
but it was EQUILIBRIUM ...plus there was no change in temp, pressure or concen. of any reactants and no catatlyst to increase the rate ....i dont knw but i wrote conc. remains equal on both sides of the equation :(
the reduction potential just tels us if the reaction (forward) is feasible or not
If you noticed in the data booklet, the equations of the reduction potentials are all reversible, i.e, they show you it is an equilibrium, it's just that the more positive the value of the reduction potential is, the more the reaction moves towards the right. That's why the reduction potential of say, flourine, is much more positive than that of magnesium for example, because magnesium ions tend to accept electrons (hence equilibrium is more to the left) than gain them.

Reaction score
If you noticed in the data booklet, the equations of the reduction potentials are all reversible, i.e, they show you it is an equilibrium, it's just that the more positive the value of the reduction potential is, the more the reaction moves towards the right. That's why the reduction potential of say, flourine, is much more positive than that of magnesium for example, because magnesium ions tend to accept electrons (hence equilibrium is more to the left) than gain them.
I couldn't put it in a better way.. Nice work

Reaction score

Ok

The concentration of both the iron ions were the same, because they both hav same mole ratio
The conc of I- is 2x concentration of I2 because their mole ratio was 2 to 1

Reaction score
Substitute it in ur Kc equation and ull get 25
The iron ions cancel out

Reaction score
yup i guess that was a silly mistake ...anyhw thx

Reaction score
I have very strong feeling that this is the right answer. I believe strongly that what you have got, although many did not get it, is right. There is no way of comparing the iron 3 and iron 2, it is EQUILIBRIUM.
Meaning you have to compare reactants with reactants, and products with products.