• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 4-theory- doubts =D

Reaction score
Hi guys. Can someone please tell me why first electron affinity is exothermic while the second one is endothermic?
Well khalifa..
U see; 1st is either exo or endo
But 2nd electron affinity is ALWAYS endo.. why? Because u are adding an extra electron...it might mean u are adding an extra shell ...that requires alooot of energy to overcome the repulsion that already occurs between negative electrons..
:D inshallah my answer is clear to u bro !

Reaction score
please tell me why different grp r attached at different place in benzene ring?
Nishan :

Some groups are called electron donating and others are called electron withdrawing

Electron donating groups include CH3- , OH-
Electron withdrawing include COOH , NO2

However idk whether NH2 is EW or ED
Can anyone help plz?

Electron donating activate 2, 4, 6 positions on benzene ringh for othr grps to b attached
Electron withdrawing activate 1, 3, 5

Reaction score
I researched. .its electron donating group. .bcz of itz lone pair
yes sorry It does withdraw electrons from its third bond, but at the same time the high electron density around the N (it has a lone pair) feeds back into the bond, causing the overall effect to be activating (electron donating). Compare this with -NO2, which is deactivating-the lone pair doesn't exist any more since both "lone" valence electrons are now used in double bonds with oxygen. Then the electronegativity of N does cause deactivation. therefore electron donating

Reaction score
yes sorry It does withdraw electrons from its third bond, but at the same time the high electron density around the N (it has a lone pair) feeds back into the bond, causing the overall effect to be activating (electron donating). Compare this with -NO2, which is deactivating-the lone pair doesn't exist any more since both "lone" valence electrons are now used in double bonds with oxygen. Then the electronegativity of N does cause deactivation. therefore electron donating
plz can u explain the mechanism in this question 3 c(iii) . i am having trouble understanding it is this thing even in our syllabus ??
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/... AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_42.pdf