• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
need help in the following paper:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_12.pdf

Question No:7

with explanations cuz i dont know where to start frm

I will start with D
First write down the equation:-
........................ 2P ------ Q + 2R
Initial Moles= 2 (P) 0(Q) 0(R)
It is given in the question x moles of R at Equilibrium, so we could find moles of Q using Mole ratio.For P since P:R is 2:2=1:1 Then P would be Initial moles - the moles of R at Equilibrium.
Equil Moles= (2-x )(P) ( x/2 ) (Q) ( x)(R)
Total (Add them up) = 2-x+(x/2)+x = (2+x/2) so the ans is D
If u Need further explaination Do tell Me!
Hope i helped! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's CRR'? Can you give a example?

kAe4rvs.jpg

etc.

Two alkyl groups on the same carbon will give you the ketone. The C=C will split and C=O will be formed with the same R groups. If instead of either of the R groups there was a H present, it would've formed carboxylic acid. Same, C=O and the H oxidised to OH.

Reaction score
10. You can rule out B and D since you know to calculate C-H bond energy you need Hf of methane.
CH4 consists of only 2 elements. In C, combustion of H2 will need O2 - this is unnecessary and not needed in the equation since O is not found in CH4.
And in A, Hatom of C + Hatom of H + Hformation of CH4 are all relevant.

16. B - Initially I oxidation state was -1. Afterwards, it was 0, it was oxidized.
Check the oxidation numbers for each option.

Reaction score
I will start with D
It is given in the question x moles of R at Equilibrium, so we could find moles of Q using Mole ratio.For P since P:R is 2:2=1:1 Then P would be Initial moles - the moles of R at Equilibrium.
can you please write them and explain in detail please :)

Reaction score
I will start with D
so you are saying i am suppose to do write the equation of A then B then C and then finally D to know whats the answer won't this consume alot of time?

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I do.
Gimme a day. I'll gather up all the individual facesheets, merge them and upload them and send you the link.
Or, if you want specific topics, let me know and I'll send you those.

Thank you so much, that will be soo helpful! Dont waste too much time on circular motion and baby chapters, things like electromagnetism, a bit of oscillations and applications will do!

Reaction score

I'll just quote someone else who has explained this super brilliantly yesterday.

I´ll go in for the rescue!

Lets consider the first row, step 1 is the slowest: This means that the hydrogen peroxide and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Since they are only involved once (directly or indirectly, you´ll see what I mean later on) and they are in the rate equation, then a=1 and b=1, c=0 because there is no hydrogen ions reacting in step 1.

Lets consider the second row, step 2 is the slowest: This means that the IO- and hydrogen ion are involved somehow in the rate determining step, but the IO- ion doesn´t appear in the rate equation! First, it is clear that the hydrogen ion will give us c=1, since it is only involved once and appears on the rate equation. Secondly, in order for the IO- to be produced, the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion will have to react, and since these are involved in the rate equation, it follows that a=1 and b=1 (since each specie was involved only once), though this time the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion were involved indirectly.

Lets finally consider the third row, step 3 is the slowest: This means that HOI, hydrogen ion and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Lets analyze HOI. We can see that for HOI to be formed, the IO- and hydrogen ion had to react, but the IO- which was needed for reaction 2 was produced by reaction of hydrogen peroxide with iodide from reaction 1! By looking at the rate equation we see that hydrogen peroxide was involved indirectly once to produce HOI and so we can see a=1. Lets continue with the hydrogen ion. We can see that it is in the rate equation and that it is involved twice, one directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 2, since hydrogen ions reacted with IO- to form HOI, one of the reactants somehow involved in the rate determining step in reaction 3. Since it is involved twice, it follows that c=2. Finally with iodide we can also see it is in the rate equation. Here the iodide ion has been involed twice, again once directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 1 (since iodide was needed in reaction 1 to produce IO-, which was needed in reaction 2 to make HOI, which was needed in reaction 3 - the rate determining step. Since it is involved twice, it also follows that b=2.

Hope it helps. It is a bit difficult to explain these types of questions by simply writing it. Do ask if you are still unsure about something.

Reaction score
LE = B – A
= –415 – (131 + 908 + 1730) – {244 + 2(–349)}
This is what markscheme says but where did the 244 come from? I am guessing it's the atomisation of chlorine but it's not given in the question :(

Attachments

• lattice.jpg
    lattice.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Q10,
Correct me if i m wrong
The enthalpy of atomisation is just converting the substance to the atom of gaseous state..
For example
C(s)------> C(g)
For Hydrogen H2(g)----> 2H(g)

To find the CH bond we need to draw the Hess law ..

CH4(g)
. .
. .
4H(g) + C(g)
The total enthalpy change of atomisation is equal to the the enthalpy change of formation of methane..I hope you get it.

Reaction score
Q10,
Correct me if i m wrong
The enthalpy of atomisation is just converting the substance to the atom of gaseous state..
For example
C(s)------> C(g)
For Hydrogen H2(g)----> 2H(g)

To find the CH bond we need to draw the Hess law ..

CH4(g)
. .
. .
4H(g) + C(g)
The total enthalpy change of atomisation is equal to the the enthalpy change of formation of methane..I hope you get it.
I got it ^^ what about Q26

Reaction score
someone... ANYONE .... please explain NMR to me!! :``) i seem to not at all be able to do nmr questions :/ :((