• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...d AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s03_qp_4.pdf
Please pleaseee help me! I do not understand electrode potential well and exam is in a week :cry:
qn no. 1 (c)i - why is the polarity that way? Isn't the anode supposed to be the object to be plated since reduction takes place at the anode and therefore, it will gain the electrons from copper?
please help me understand it
At cathode always reduction takes place
At the anode always oxidation takes place
So the object to be plated is at the cathode & it will gain the electrons from copper
You can remember it this way if it helps:
CCR- Cathode cation reduction & RIG- reduction is gain
AAO- Anode anion oxidation & OIL- oxidation is loss

Reaction score
Basically because it has a week metallic bond. The mercury atoms doesn´t donate as much of their valence electrons to the cloud of electrons, so the electrostatic forces between the mercury cation and the delocalised sea of electrons isn´t as a strong metallic bond as say in magnesium, where there are more delocalised electrons and therefore more electrostatic forces of attraction.
oh thnx