• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 63820
How to do this? Im having paper 1 in 3 days and stressing out right now because of this question:'( Help

The answer is D

I guess the examination report explain it enough

Question 28: The correct answer was D. The most commonly chosen incorrect answers were A and B. These answers, A and B, both have compound X having a cyclopentane ring which would have to be opened by the reaction with ammonia. This will not occur. Compound X must be 1,5-dibromooctane. The reaction of 1,5-dibromooctane with ammonia takes place by nucleophilic substitution in two steps. In the first step of the reaction an –NH2 group substitutes for one of the bromine atoms. Since this –NH2 group has a lone pair it can attack the δ+ carbon atom of the second C-Br by the same nucleophilic mechanism, giving coniine as the organic product.

Reaction score
ans is D?

Apart from guess work i mean trying the options one by one I can not find any other way.
X + H2O------>Al(OH)3 + hydrocarbon gas(HC)..unknown
HC(g) + O2------>H2O + CO2

cancel out the hydrocarbon and water molecules from both side of the equations to make it an overall equation

considering option D.

Al4C3 + 9O2+ 12H+ ------>4Al(OH)3 + 3CO2
mol of CO2=108/24000=4.5*10-3
3:1.......mol of Al4C3=1.5*10-3
Mr=144
option D is correct.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apart from guess work i mean trying the options one by one I can not find any other way.
X + H2O------>Al(OH)3 + hydrocarbon gas(HC)..unknown
HC(g) + O2------>H2O + CO2

cancel out the hydrocarbon and water molecules from both side of the equations to make it an overall equation

considering option D.

Al4C3 + 9O2+ 12H+ ------>4Al(OH)3 + 3CO2
mol of CO2=108/24000=4.5*10-3
3:1.......mol of Al4C3=1.5*10-3
Mr=144
option D is correct.
thanks a lot :D

Reaction score
upload_2018-6-5_1-5-27.png
When BaCO3 and MgCO3 are heated they would produce their oxides, right?
and If they react with HCL then they wouldn't produce CO2 .. I think 1 is wrong but it isn't .. why?