• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Quick question : When writing an ionic equation from the list in the data booklet , we choose the ones which give us the most Potential difference , right?

Reaction score
Hi I have another question here. This is from MayJune 2018 paper 11. The answer is C... How do u solve this??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 22.19.26.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 22.19.26.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure about it. Sorry...
Hot concentrated KmnO4 causes rupture at the double bond. Thus, you break both the double bonds and form ketone and carboxylic acid (according to the arrangement). Also, do remember that CO2 is always produced during rupture.

I'm not the best when it comes to explaining so if it doesn't clear that up just reply and I'll try sending you a picture.

Edit : Methanioc acid would be a product too but since it's not mentioned we ignore it.

Reaction score
Hot concentrated KmnO4 causes rupture at the double bond. Thus, you break both the double bonds and form ketone and carboxylic acid (according to the arrangement). Also, do remember that CO2 is always produced during rupture.

I'm not the best when it comes to explaining so if it doesn't clear that up just reply and I'll try sending you a picture.

Edit : Methanioc acid would be a product too but since it's not mentioned we ignore it.

Sorry I still don't really get it... Can I see the picture?? Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me solving this question? This is taken from 2017 MJ 12. The answer should be D.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 19.28.18.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 19.28.18.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Where can I get notes that follow the syllabus and explains each learning outcome without adding extra unnecessary information. If there is for chemistry, is there also for biology and physics?

Reaction score
Where can I get notes that follow the syllabus and explains each learning outcome without adding extra unnecessary information. If there is for chemistry, is there also for biology and physics?
Try Znotes, they'd probably have it all. As for chemistry chemguide is pretty good!

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me solving this question? This is taken from 2017 MJ 12. The answer should be D.
Heating an alcohol with H2SO4 would dehydrate it and result in alkene formation. If you heat A,B or C , you have 2 options for a double bond in all of them ( double will come between the OH carbon and the carbon next to it, That can be on either side whicj would result in mixture of both compounds ). However, in D there is only one carbon beside OH carbon so there's just one possibility.