• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
one more question :)
how to differentiate between permanent and induced dipoles ...i know that in permanent there is a difference in the electronegativities ..but how to know which have the higher electronegativity?

Reaction score
one more question :)
how to differentiate between permanent and induced dipoles ...i know that in permanent there is a difference in the electronegativities ..but how to know which have the higher electronegativity?
the difernce in the + and the - charge .higher the dfrnce higher the electronegativity

Reaction score
On collision, airbags in cars inflate rapidly due to the production of nitrogen.
The nitrogen is formed according to the following equations.
2NaN3----->2Na+3N2
10Na+2KNO3----->K2O+5Na2O+N2
How many moles of nitrogen gas are produced from 1 mol of sodium azide?
A 1.5 B 1.6 C 3.2 D 4.0

hows it B?

Reaction score
please help me with Q20 with explanation.
Well the molecule is a cis-molecule so its either A or C
it has a formula of C20H28O, which is also CnH2n-12O. It has some double bonds, an aldehyde group and a cyclohexene ring
Lets start of with an alkane and change it into the molecule in question
An alkane has a formula of CnH2n+2
If you could change it into an aldehyde, you lose 2hydrogens and gain one Oxygen
so now its CnH2nO
If you could make part of it into a ring, adding a cyclohexane ring, you reduce number of hydrogens by 2. Noticed I added cyclohexane isntead of cyclohexene. We'll take care of double bonds later
now its CnH2n-2O
So now the only group we haven't considered is alkene. Each alkene reduces the H number by 2, so if there are 5 alkenes,
the formula would be CnH2n-12O, which is our molecule

So answer is A

EDIT: Fixed up some mistakes, you should reread it if you read it already

Reaction score
On collision, airbags in cars inflate rapidly due to the production of nitrogen.
The nitrogen is formed according to the following equations.
2NaN3----->2Na+3N2
10Na+2KNO3----->K2O+5Na2O+N2
How many moles of nitrogen gas are produced from 1 mol of sodium azide?
A 1.5 B 1.6 C 3.2 D 4.0

hows it B?

1 moll of NaN3 produces 1.5N2 according 2 equation....but it also produces 1 mol Na which gives 0.1mol of N2 so in total it is 1.6mol of N2

Reaction score
Well the molecule is a cis-molecule so its either A or C
it has a formula of C20H28O, which is also CnH2n-12O. It has some double bonds, an aldehyde group and a cyclohexene ring
Lets start of with an alkane and change it into the molecule in question
An alkane has a formula of CnH2n+2
If you could change it into an aldehyde, you lose 2hydrogens and gain one Oxygen
so now its CnH2nO
If you could make part of it into a ring, adding a cyclohexane ring, you reduce number of hydrogens by 2. Noticed I added cyclohexane isntead of cyclohexene. We'll take care of double bonds later
now its CnH2n-2O
So now the only group we haven't considered is alkene. Each alkene reduces the H number by 2, so if there are 5 alkenes,
the formula would be CnH2n-12O, which is our molecule

So answer is A

EDIT: Fixed up some mistakes, you should reread it if you read it already

Thanks! You saved my grade! :)