• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Why won't SO2 wont show up?
How do you test for SO2 gas? Why would it show up if you're never taught how to test for it -_-

Ok looks like I was mistaken. I just confirmed the CIE amendment to the syllabus for P3.

It was the Pb2+ ion that they've removed not SO2. So, K2Cr2O7 will very much be on the reagents bench and you'll have to test for it by soaking the white strips of filter paper. If it turns from orange to green, voila.

Reaction score
yeah... at least i think it will be fine.
bcz seriously how wud we know if the examiner will write them on the left or the right side. i wudve written it the more standard way : on the right side.

In exam you're supposed to always electrons in terms of addition, not subtraction, even though examiners will often ask you in terms of electrons subtracted.

X + e -> X
never
X - e -> X

Reaction score
In exam you're supposed to always electrons in terms of addition, not subtraction, even though examiners will often ask you in terms of electrons subtracted.

X + e -> X
never
X - e -> X

If what I understand is correct, there is no difference on writing an electron as being added (onto one side of the equation) or subtracted (from the other side of the equation), so any way will be correct in the exam.

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any diagram of electrophoresis? I mean an easy one because Marking schemes shows 3D diagrams. Thank You Suchal Riaz AbbbbY Namehere

This is what I make.

10330375_10152190871883621_8502589674136498735_n.jpg

Reaction score

X + e -> X
never
X - e -> X
Can u plz solve the electrode potential posted above,there Is a confusion in it.thanks
Bro still waiting for the p5.

Reaction score
Thank You so much! But once I made a similar diagram and my teacher pointed out that this is close to electrolysis, draw it as it is in marking scheme o_O

Teachers usually treat the mark scheme as the Bible or something lol. No need to draw it exactly as the mark scheme. Just make sure your diagram includes the relevant points quoted in the mark scheme, as those are what was marked :
  • power supply
  • electrolyte + filter paper
  • buffer
  • acid mixture central
So this diagram should suffice:

electrophoresis.png

Reaction score
  1. Pick a point on one of the graphs
  2. Draw a tangent line and calculate the gradient of that line. This is the rate.
  3. Take the appropriate concentrations and place the values of the rate and concentrations in the rate equation
  4. Solve for k.
thanks alot budy (Y) .