• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Biology

Reaction score
The formation of yogurt is important. You should also be aware of the antibiotics such as penicillin produced by a named fungus and the steps related to it. Learn the conversion of lactose to lactic acid in the formation of yogurt.
I was gonna leave the yogurt, beer, wine etc. part out but now I'll do all of it. xD Realized it's better not to leave anything out. :unsure:

Reaction score
They don't. Do not write more then what's necessary, because they will only check the points according to the marks. i.e., if you write 7 points for a five mark question, they will only check the first five points and will not differentiate the wrong points from the right ones.
That first point thing is what I wanted to know, thanks ^_^
Also, there are those "Ignore" instructions in the mark schemes, does that mean they mark the specific point wrong, or they simple ignore it and move on to the next part of the answer?

Reaction score
leeminho So if a question asks for one visible feature of an organism that can be used to classify it as a part of the arthropod group for example , it's a bad idea to write "antennae" and "segments" yeah? :LOL:
There were questions in the past papers which demanded for accurate labeling. Like in some questions, testa or outer covering was not shown but many students wrote the outer layer as testa so that creates error. Study the diagram properly then label it. Like in some parts of leaf, petiole was not clearly shows so yeah. ._.

Reaction score
There were questions in the past papers which demanded for accurate labeling. Like in some questions, testa or outer covering was not shown but many students wrote the outer layer as testa so that creates error. Study the diagram properly then label it. Like in some parts of leaf, petiole was not clearly shows so yeah. ._.
I'm not talking about labelling ^___^ I mean if they ask you for one reason/point in a question and you write two with an and in between, once again they only see the first point right?

Reaction score
That first point thing is what I wanted to know, thanks ^_^
Also, there are those "Ignore" instructions in the mark schemes, does that mean they mark the specific point wrong, or they simple ignore it and move on to the next part of the answer?

They simply ignore it and continue on to the next part of the answer. "Ignore" points are basically points which aren't relevant to the answer, and are common misconceptions which candidates give which do not build up on anything, so you gain no mark for it.
You can give these points, but you will not gain any marks for it (because technically, it isn't wrong, it just isn't meant to be in the answer).

Reaction score
I'm not talking about labelling ^___^ I mean if they ask you for one reason/point in a question and you write two with an and in between, once again they only see the first point right?
Well. I don't think so.
They will read the whole answer and give marks accordingly. Provided that the answer is not in points. If its in points. They will cater the answer written on those provided lines. But don't use OR :p

Reaction score
Well. I don't think so.
They will read the whole answer and give marks accordingly. Provided that the answer is not in points. If its in points. They will cater the answer written on those provided lines. But don't use OR :p
Sorry I meant will they consider* (not see :p) the first answer only..?
Haha yeah sure :ROFLMAO: I wonder who does that :p

Reaction score
They simply ignore it and continue on to the next part of the answer. "Ignore" points are basically points which aren't relevant to the answer, and are common misconceptions which candidates give which do not build up on anything, so you gain no mark for it.
You can give these points, but you will not gain any marks for it (because technically, it isn't wrong, it just isn't meant to be in the answer).
Kay thanks ^_^

Reaction score

I always do this, hoping one of the reasons is correct.
But if they specifically say ''State one reason''..
And the student writes one correct reason, followed by AND ALSO .. and then a wrong reason (He was not sure about the first one, so gave another)..

Will marks be given?

And what if the first reason is wrong, and second is right? .-.

Reaction score
And the student writes one correct reason, followed by AND ALSO .. and then a wrong reason (He was not sure about the first one, so gave another)..

Will marks be given?

I wanted to know the same thing.

Reaction score

Will marks be given?

That's what I'm trying to explain. I read it in some mark scheme that only the first point will be taken into an account. If the answer demands for only one reason.