• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
wen two lines are perpendicularthe b1 or directional vector becomes the normal to the ohter vector so here we have n1= 12, 6, -6)
which we took out by (7, 7, -5) -( (-5,1,1) = 12, 6,-6
then we apply formula
r.n=a.n
where r= x y and z
and a is any point on plane
wch can also be A as it passes thru A (1,4,-2)
then we have (x,y,z) . (12, 6 ,-6)= (1, 4,-2). (12, 6. -6)
you will get 12x+6y-6z=48

do u know how to do decimal search using chord approximation
Remember me in ur prayers please :)

Reaction score
Guys can you solve this " In a triangle OAB, O is the origin, A is (0,6) and B is (6,0). Find the equations of the three medians of the triangle"

Reaction score
Guys can you solve this " In a triangle OAB, O is the origin, A is (0,6) and B is (6,0). Find the equations of the three medians of the triangle"
Solution:
Midpoint OA = (0,3)
Midpoint OB = (3,0)
Midpoint AB = (3,3)

For first median, O to AB:
Gradient = 1
y - 3 = 1 (x - 3)
y = x

For second median, A to OB:
Gradient = 6-0/0-3 = -2
y - 6 = -2 (x - 0)
y = -2x + 6

For third median, B to OA:
Gradient = 0-3/6-0 = -1/2
y - 0 = -1/2 (x - 6)
2y = -x + 6

Reaction score
Solution:
Midpoint OA = (0,3)
Midpoint OB = (3,0)
Midpoint AB = (3,3)

For first median, O to AB:
Gradient = 1
y - 3 = 1 (x - 3)
y = x

For second median, A to OB:
Gradient = 6-0/0-3 = -2
y - 6 = -2 (x - 0)
y = -2x + 6

For third median, B to OA:
Gradient = 0-3/6-0 = -1/2
y - 0 = -1/2 (x - 6)
2y = -x + 6

Reaction score
"Two sides of a parallelogram are formed by parts of the line 2x -y = -9 and x - 2y = -9." I was able to find the find co-ordinates of the vertex where they intersect which is (-3,3). The next part says that another vertex of the parallelogram is the point (2,1) and I have to find the equations of the other two sides of the parallelogram. Someone please explain this

Reaction score
"Two sides of a parallelogram are formed by parts of the line 2x -y = -9 and x - 2y = -9." I was able to find the find co-ordinates of the vertex where they intersect which is (-3,3). The next part says that another vertex of the parallelogram is the point (2,1) and I have to find the equations of the other two sides of the parallelogram. Someone please explain this

Reaction score
They have given you the vertex, which means that you know that (2,1) lies on both the lines for which you have to the find the equation.
Since it is a parallelogram, opposite sides will be PARALLEL, which means equal gradients for opposite side lines.

Solution:
2x - y = -9
Gradient = 2
(2,1) lies on line,
y - 1 = 2 (x - 2)
y = 2x - 3 --> One equation.

x - 2y = -9
Gradient = 1/2
(2,1) lies on line,
y - 1 = 1/2 (x - 2)
2y - 2 = x - 2
2y = x --> Second equation.

Reaction score
They have given you the vertex, which means that you know that (2,1) lies on both the lines for which you have to the find the equation.
Since it is a parallelogram, opposite sides will be PARALLEL, which means equal gradients for opposite side lines.

Solution:
2x - y = -9
Gradient = 2
(2,1) lies on line,
y - 1 = 2 (x - 2)
y = 2x - 1 --> One equation.

x - 2y = -9
Gradient = 1/2
(2,1) lies on line,
y - 1 = 1/2 (x - 2)
2y - 2 = x - 2
2y = x --> Second equation.

Thank you so much. Now can you tell me how will I find the co-ordinates of the other two vertices and btw the first equation should be '2x - y = 3'

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Now can you tell me how will I find the co-ordinates of the other two vertices and btw the first equation should be '2x - y = 3'
Yeah, sorry, I solved it in a hurry and hence the mistake.
For other two vertices, you need to simultaneously solve the NON parallel line equations.
So, you need to simultaneously solve:
(i) y = 2x -3 and x - 2y = -9
(ii) 2x - y = -9 and 2y = x

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I solved it in a hurry and hence the mistake.
For other two vertices, you need to simultaneously solve the NON parallel line equations.
So, you need to simultaneously solve:
(i) y = 2x -3 and x - 2y = -9
(ii) 2x - y = -9 and 2y = x

calculate the value of integral (range 1 to 13) 1/(2x+1) giving your answer in an exact form simplified as far as possible help guys

Reaction score
calculate the value of integral (range 1 to 13) 1/(2x+1) giving your answer in an exact form simplified as far as possible help guys
Solution:
y = 1/(2x+1)
Integral = [ln(2x+1)]/2 + c
Using range 1 to 13,
Integral = { [ln(27)/2] - [ln(3)/2] } (We ignore the constant c in definite integrals).
Integral = (ln 27 - ln 3)/2
Integral = (ln 9)/2

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum ............i really wanna know wether its important to solve the old years papers for pure mathematics like in 90s...
or else solving from 2002 would be enough ............
please reply....
thanks in advance :D

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum ............i really wanna know wether its important to solve the old years papers for pure mathematics like in 90s...
or else solving from 2002 would be enough ............
please reply....
thanks in advance :D
The types of questions that came in the 1990s don't come in papers now but they were harder than the current papers so if you want to solve them for practice then go ahead, it'll only make your Maths better.