• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Ok sorry.....by the way I solved it. You're right it cannot be done without the aid of a diagram!

most of the questions where it mentions the diagram in them .. like "as shown in the diagram" the diagram is usually important to the question :D

Reaction score
year ? :D

it will be o.5 se 13. because using the 'completing the sqaure' method you'd get the value of k to be 0.5
a(x-h)^2 +k
June 96.
Oh man.....from where did this completing square come from?
I don't think that it's relevant here.

asd

Reaction score
Is the domain a possible set of x-values and range of y-values?
Exactly, the range tells you the +ve positive and -ve height of the graph, like how high and low does it go in y-values. While the range, is to what extent the graph goes to the left/right. So for a restricted domain, like the one above, you will have restricted range, and vice versa. If not restricted, the curve will go all the way up (vertically--on y-axis) to infinity, and the range will only be, greater and equal to 0.5.

Reaction score
Exactly, the range tells you the +ve positive and -ve height of the graph, like how high and low does it go in y-values. While the range, is to what extent the graph goes to the left/right. So for a restricted domain, like the one above, you will have restricted range, and vice versa. If not restricted, the curve will go all the way up (vertically--on y-axis) to infinity, and the range will only be, greater and equal to 0.5.
Can u explain how is this completing square related to range and domain???????

asd

Reaction score
Yup......I've just started on my own from Quadratic functions. Doing past papers of this topic.
Em also in search of a teacher.....I hope it can be covered in 7-8 months.
The general equation is : a(x-h)^2 + k.
Now if you expand this you will get: ax^2 - 2ahx + ah^2 + k
Compare this with the equation given. a is the coefficient of x^2, so look for the co efficient of x^2 in the equation given, It is 2. so a =2 .
Likewise, -2ah = -6 (coefficients of x). this will get you h = 3/2.
(ah^2 + k) is constant, it has no x. so equate it to 5. You get, k= 1/2
In the general equation, (x-h)^2 = 0 is the x coordinate of the point when the curve has a turning point (either a maximum/minimum).
Put in the value of h, and you'll get: x=3/2 . And k is the y-value of the turning point. 3/2 = 1.5, which lie within the domain, so k i.e 0.5 is the minimum value, and calculate the maximum value of the range, i.e when x = 4.

Reaction score
In this question, after completing square, we get 2(x-1.5)^2+0.5.
Thus, h=1.5 and k=1/2.
This means that for this domain, the least value for y is 1/2 and it occurs when value of x is 1.5
As the graph has a minimum point, the domain would be restricted bcz otherwise the graph would never end
Now we have to look at the limit of domain, which is 4.
By substituting x=4 in the equation, we get 13
So the answers are 1/2 and 13. Is that right?

asd

Reaction score
Yup......I've just started on my own from Quadratic functions. Doing past papers of this topic.
Em also in search of a teacher.....I hope it can be covered in 7-8 months.
Oh and the final equation you'll get will be : 2(x-3/2)^2 + 1/2