• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
um to find lower quartile range find median of the cumulatve frequency then half it . then find the corresponding range or value on the graph
Assume if this is the table given to you....how would you find Q1, median and Q3.

85.5-90.5 -6
90.5-95.5 -4
95.5-100.5 -10
100.5-105.5 -6
105.5-110.5 -3
110.5-115.5 -1
The digits after the ranges of values are the frequencies. Solve it so that I can elaborate to you how to do it rightly.

Reaction score
bogus: I have a few mathematical formulas which u can use for checking ur answers of quartiles, median and percentiles. You can get accurate values by them.
Here they are:

1st quartile: l + h/f [(n/4) - C]
3rd quartile: l + h/f [(3n/4) - C]
Median: l + h/f [(n/2) - C]
Percentile: l + h/f [(m*n/4) - C]

l=lower class boundary of the class containing the Q1 or median or Q3 or the mth percentile.
h=width of the class containing the Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
f= frequency of the class containing Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
n=total number of frequencies
C= cumulative frequency of the class immediately preceding to the class containing Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
m=the percentile to be calculated (e.g. 10th percentile, 95th percentile etc)

If u don't understand, I can elaborate in by giving an example. Tell me if u do want!
thanks but no thanks... i cant learn them in a day so might as well stick to the normal way:p

Reaction score
bogus: I have a few mathematical formulas which u can use for checking ur answers of quartiles, median and percentiles. You can get accurate values by them.
Here they are:

1st quartile: l + h/f [(n/4) - C]
3rd quartile: l + h/f [(3n/4) - C]
Median: l + h/f [(n/2) - C]
Percentile: l + h/f [(m*n/4) - C]

l=lower class boundary of the class containing the Q1 or median or Q3 or the mth percentile.
h=width of the class containing the Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
f= frequency of the class containing Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
n=total number of frequencies
C= cumulative frequency of the class immediately preceding to the class containing Q1 or median or Q3 or mth percentile
m=the percentile to be calculated (e.g. 10th percentile, 95th percentile etc)

If u don't understand, I can elaborate in by giving an example. Tell me if u do want!

hey these are statistics formula not allowed in maths .

Reaction score
hey these are statistics formula not allowed in maths .
O man....I said to check your answers only! This is for accuracy only. Many times you get your answer wrong bcz you aren't accurate. Btw it's not that they aren't allowed.
Have u done Statistics (4040)?