• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths (Paper 3)

Reaction score
I still dont get how to find max and min arg z and greast and lest modules of z
Could somebody help me out?

Reaction score
fluffycloud said:
I still dont get how to find max and min arg z and greast and lest modules of z
Could somebody help me out?

Read back in the thread, I have even posted a diagram that I made myself strictly for the purpose of posting on this thread.

Reaction score
oh sorry fatema was lookin at 31
all u done wrong is the x^2 term
it is (-3)(-4)/2! (2x)^2
that will be 12/2 4x^2
so it will be 24X^2

Reaction score
Show that the equation of the tangent to the curve at the point with parameter t is
x sin t + y cos t = a sin t cos t. [3]
(iii) Hence show that, if this tangent meets the x-axis at X and the y-axis at Y, then the length of XY
is always equal to a.

URGENT THANKS :d

Since the tangent meets at the x axis at x, y=0
Thus, x=a cos t, (a cos t, 0)
Since tangent meets at the y axis at Y, x=0
Thus, y=a sin t, (0, a sin t)

To find distance between 2 points on a graph = {[(Y2-Y1)^2]+[(X2-X1)^2]}^0.5

Distance of XY = {[(a sin t)^2]+[(-a cos t)^2]}^0.5
= [(a^2 sin^2 t)+(a^2 cos^2 t)]^0.5
= [a^2 (sin^2 t + cos^2 t)]^0.5, since sin^2 t + cos^2 t =1,
= [a^2 (1)]^0.5
= -a(n.a.), +a

Thus, the length is shown always to be a when the tangent passes through X and Y.

Reaction score
fatema said:
ahmed t said:
at fatema
did u square the 2 on the RHS?

square wat 2 on the right hand side? y do u have 2 square, can u please write down the working for me, sorry for the trouble. and also the same paper nov 2010 paper 33 qn no 5... i dont get ln50 :S

For Q5: Solve (2x+7)/((2x+1)(x+2)) as partial fraction which will be 4/(2x+1) - 1/(x+2)
so by Integrating this fractions with the limits 0 to 7
Which will give: (2 ln (15) - ln(9)) - (2ln(1) - ln(2))
= (ln (15^2/9) + ln(2))
= ln(25*2) = ln50

Hope I helped :)

Reaction score
already been mentioned in this topic
all u do is find dy/dx
then find the negative reciprical

Reaction score
Guys is there any way to post images in XPF. I could give some ideas about argand diagram. Pictures speak more.

Reaction score
Yes there is charidon. And here comes one right now. This is for those who don't get the shading idea.

Reaction score
@MukeshG93..

Am I right?
1. Max and min modulus...
Is it ...draw a tangest to the LOWEST PART OF THE CIRCLE (from the origin)...and then add the modulus of the center of the circle and the radius if maximum modulus needed .....and subtract radius of circle from modulus of the center of the circle if minimum modulus needed...

2. max and min argument
is it ...draw a tangent to the LOWEST PART OF THE CIRCLE (from the origin) for the least argument and HIGHEST PART OF THE CIRCLE (from the origin) for the maximum argument..and use the pythagorous theoram to get the respective value of mod Z

Reaction score
i think for modulus u draw a line from the origin through the center of the circle and the minimum mod is when it first touches the circle (intersects) and max mod is wen it intersect the circle while leaving it
correct me if im wrong

Reaction score
ahmed t said:
i think for modulus u draw a line from the origin through the center of the circle and the minimum mod is when it first touches the circle (intersects) and max mod is wen it intersect the circle while leaving it
correct me if im wrong
yess u r rite=)