• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics (IGCSE) exam not understanding question and how to study.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Physics textbook, it is fairly simple. I can easily answer all it's question without too much difficulty and basically understand the concept. The moment I sit for an exam or attempt past papers I am unable to solve multiple questions. I can do around 75% of the paper but then there are trick questions about some topics that we have not been fully introduced to. For example the teacher gave us a question, Q1 from the 157774-november-2012-question-paper-31 which I attached below. I was able to answer part (a) and (b) of Q1 but part (c) we had not really done in class so I was utterly confused and could not answer it. No one in my class could either. This isn't the only time something like this has happened. It happens time and again where I reach a question outside my comfort zone and actually apply myself and do it. Do not get the wrong sense, I am fairly smart, I usually come in the top 3 in almost all subjects. I just am unable to grasp the skill. The questions in the textbook are way too simple, and exam questions are leagues beyond. Is there a way I can improve my problem solving ability? Any books I can buy? Any websites or videos? Anything at all?
Please help, I have exams next week and I am becoming tense.

Thank you,
AN.

Attachments

• 157774-november-2012-question-paper-31.pdf
    174.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 154528-november-2012-mark-scheme-31.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hi.

Question 1(c) has to do with Newton's First Law of Motion; 'when balanced forces are applied to an object, the object either (a) remains stationary, or (b) continues to move at a constant velocity [...]'.

Therefore, if the velocity of the train does not increase or decrease, the forces acting on the train are balanced. The force pushing the train forward is called the driving force, so what is stopping the train from accelerating further? The friction of the wheels on the track, and the friction from the air that the train is displacing as it moves (called drag or air resistance).

Cheers
Zak

EDIT: Try not to get overwhelmed by questions. If it's too difficult, or you aren't focused enough to ask a question, just skip it and return to it later after you've built some more confidence answering the easier questions in the paper.

Reaction score
Hi.

Question 1(c) has to do with Newton's First Law of Motion; 'when balanced forces are applied to an object, the object either (a) remains stationary, or (b) continues to move at a constant velocity [...]'.

Therefore, if the velocity of the train does not increase or decrease, the forces acting on the train are balanced. The force pushing the train forward is called the driving force, so what is stopping the train from accelerating further? The friction of the wheels on the track, and the friction from the air that the train is displacing as it moves (called drag or air resistance).

Cheers
Zak

EDIT: Try not to get overwhelmed by questions. If it's too difficult, or you aren't focused enough to ask a question, just skip it and return to it later after you've built some more confidence answering the easier questions in the paper.
Yeah I figured that out. Not sure how to deactivate thread or chose an answer.