• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics MCQs thread.

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
what do we have to know about crystalline materials ?

Crystalline materials are the ones in which particles are arranged in a regular pattern which is repeated in 3 dimensions throughout the material.

Reaction score
When a ball is thrown upwards at an angle to the horizontal with an initial speed. Assuming that air resistance is not negligible, which of the following statement is incorrect?
A The path of the ball is asymmetrical about the highest point.
B Horizontal range of the ball is shorter than the case with negligible air resistance.
C The maximum height reached by the ball is smaller than the case with negligible air resistance.
D The time taken for the flight up to the highest point is longer than the time taken for the flight down

Reaction score
hassam said:
When a ball is thrown upwards at an angle to the horizontal with an initial speed. Assuming that air resistance is not negligible, which of the following statement is incorrect?
B Horizontal range of the ball is shorter than the case with negligible air resistance.
C The maximum height reached by the ball is smaller than the case with negligible air resistance.
D The time taken for the flight up to the highest point is longer than the time taken for the flight down

D, I reckon.

Reaction score
hassam said:
D

Reaction score
Zishi said:
girlscampisra said:
please solve this one..

A. The main mistake which candidates do is that they assume initial velocity to be zero. Let it be u, make two equations. solve them simultaneously, and you'll get the answer.

i know.. i kept "u'' as initial velocity, but still couldnt get the right answer.
could u please tell me the equations ??

Reaction score
YA d COS TIME IS THE SAME...btw isnt the path symmetrical abt highest point

Reaction score
asdfg12345 said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_s07_qp_1.pdf

Q12. please help me with this question.
why isnt it P2-P1 / t2-t1 ?

Q10 OR 12?
I think 10 - It's because the negative sign is already in the value of P2.

So it's P1 - P2 / t2-t1 i.e 'B'

Reaction score
Which of the following experimental techniques does not reduce random error of thequantity being investigated?
(i) Plotting data on a graph to get a best fit line.(ii) Timing a large number of oscillations to find the period.(iii) Repeating the experiment with a new set of apparatus.(iv) Repeating the experiment and calculate mean values for the reading.(v) Adjusting an electronic balance to remove its zero error before measuring mass.
A
(i) and (v)
B
(iii) and (v)
C
(i), (ii) and (iv)
D
(ii), (iii) and (v)

Reaction score
hassam said:
YA d COS TIME IS THE SAME...btw isnt the path symmetrical abt highest point

No, time won't be same. It'll be reverse of what D said.

Reaction score
hassam said:
Which of the following experimental techniques does not reduce random error of thequantity being investigated?
(i) Plotting data on a graph to get a best fit line.(ii) Timing a large number of oscillations to find the period.(iii) Repeating the experiment with a new set of apparatus.(iv) Repeating the experiment and calculate mean values for the reading.(v) Adjusting an electronic balance to remove its zero error before measuring mass.
A
(i) and (v)
B
(iii) and (v)
C
(i), (ii) and (iv)
D
(ii), (iii) and (v)
B

girlscampisra said:
Zishi said:
girlscampisra said:
please solve this one..

A. The main mistake which candidates do is that they assume initial velocity to be zero. Let it be u, make two equations. solve them simultaneously, and you'll get the answer.

i know.. i kept "u'' as initial velocity, but still couldnt get the right answer.
Wait for it, then.

Reaction score
girlscampisra said:
Zishi said:
girlscampisra said:
please solve this one..

40=12u + (1/2*a*12^2)
80=18u + (1/2*a*18^2)

Reaction score
hassam said:
A
(i) and (v)
B
(iii) and (v)
C
(i), (ii) and (iv)
D
(ii), (iii) and (v)
B

Reaction score
Zishi said:
asdfg12345 said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_s07_qp_1.pdf

Q12. please help me with this question.
why isnt it P2-P1 / t2-t1 ?

Q10 OR 12?
I think 10 - It's because the negative sign is already in the value of P2.

So it's P1 - P2 / t2-t1 i.e 'B'

oops, yupp Q10. so the actual formula is mv+mu or mv-mu. if mv-mu then wouldnt it be p2-p1, final - initial?
thanks anyway.

Reaction score
asdfg12345 said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_s10_qp_11.pdf

please help me with Q33.
no matter how many times i calculate i cant get A) 2W

thanks !
Q and R are in parallel connection and P is in series. so Q and R will take 1/3 of the supplied power which is 12/3 = 4 W . Q and R have the same resistance so each will share the 4W equally which gives a power dissipation of 2 W. u can also assume a value for the resistances ( same for all ) and u will get A also as the final answer