• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yes force is constant. but constant force always produces constant acceleration.
According to Newton's second law, F= ma, we can see that force and acceleration are directly proportional to each other. So when force increases uniformly, acceleration increases uniformly. And uniform acceleration means, uniform change in velocity. Hence velocity is not constant.

great got it thnx

Reaction score
Could someone help me with this?

If a raindrop were to fall from a height of 1 km, with what velocity would it hit the ground if there was no air resistance?

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Could someone help me with this?

If a raindrop were to fall from a height of 1 km, with what velocity would it hit the ground if there was no air resistance?
try this: no resistance means const acceleration...

use s = ut +0.5at^2
s = 0t + 0.5*9.8*t^2
as s=1000 get t.

use
v = u + at = 0 + 9.8*t
put t from prev step and get v...

do u get the right answer...? (this is a maths qustn n I like maths!)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
try this: no resistance means const acceleration...

use s = ut +0.5at^2
s = 0t + 0.5*9.8*t^2
as s=1000 get t.

use
v = u + at = 0 + 9.8*t
put t from prev step and get v...

do u get the right answer...? (this is a maths qustn n I like maths!)
Yes, I got it, JazakAllah Khair. ohh n this was a physics question...

Another quest, if there is no air resistance, what does it tell about the speed?

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I got it, JazakAllah Khair. ohh n this was a physics question...

Another quest, if there is no air resistance, what does it tell about the speed?
wa iyyakum..
no air resistance means nothing stopping it from comming down so constant acceleration.. that tells us speed keeps increasing at a fixed rate (Acceleration of 9.8) until SPLAT it hits the ground.... with air resistance the speed increases till a fixed value and until that time air resistance force also increases until the upward and downward forces are equal and your drop comes down with a constant velocity.. we call that const velocit Terminal Velocity if my memory servers me right...

Reaction score
Please help me for June 2004 p2 no. 3 (b)(ii)
Thanks.

wa iyyakum..
no air resistance means nothing stopping it from comming down so constant acceleration.. that tells us speed keeps increasing at a fixed rate (Acceleration of 9.8) until SPLAT it hits the ground.... with air resistance the speed increases till a fixed value and until that time air resistance force also increases until the upward and downward forces are equal and your drop comes down with a constant velocity.. we call that const velocit Terminal Velocity if my memory servers me right...

Reaction score
could you help me with June 2012 P12 Q13?

U must have done these type of quest in mechanics.. u r frm mru i fink??

well
its simple simultaneous enqs

Using newton(my friend) laws of motion
2g - T = 2a eqn 1

T - 6 = 8a eqn 2

U solve simultaneously u'll get a = 1.4 ms^-2

T =17.2 N

hence a=1.4 ans is option A