• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
How do I do this?

When a golfer hits a ball, his club in in contact with the ball for about 0.0005s and the ball leaves the club with a speed of 70m/s. The mass of the ball is 46g.

a) Determine the mean accelerating force.
b) What mass, resting on the ball would exert the same force as in a?

Reaction score
How do I do this?

When a golfer hits a ball, his club in in contact with the ball for about 0.0005s and the ball leaves the club with a speed of 70m/s. The mass of the ball is 46g.

Answers
a) Impulse = (force)(change in time) = momentum
therefore,
Force= (0.046*70)/(0.0005) = 6440N

b) i dont understand the question

Reaction score
How do I do this?

Do you know the answer to part b?

Reaction score
When jumping from a wall onto the ground, it is advisable to bend one's knees on landing. Using Newton's second law of motion, explain why it is sensible to bend one's knees..?

smzimran Could you help me here?

Reaction score
When jumping from a wall onto the ground, it is advisable to bend one's knees on landing. Using Newton's second law of motion, explain why it is sensible to bend one's knees..?

If you jump off a table, as your feet hit the floor, you let your legs bend at the knees in order to mimimize the force applied to your skeletal system.
Just before you reach the floor your body has momentum.
After you land, your body will have no momentum, so therefore there was a change in momentum and an impulse was necessary for this to happen.

The impulse on your body in this case comes from the floor and the size of the impulse is constant. Since impulse is the product of the force and the time over which it acts, then force and time are inversely proportional. So, if the force acts over a longer time period, then it will have a smaller magnitude. If we didn't bend our knees, the force would act over a much shorter period of time and would thus be much greater in magnitude, great enough to break our bones.

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out for this question:
The answer is B.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out for this question:
The answer is B.

Remember that the voltage in parallel is same.

For top part:
The voltage across 500 resistor (PX) is 4 volts:
Voltage across PX= (500/1500)*12 = 4 V

For bottom part:
The voltage across 2000 resistor (PY) is 8 volts:
Voltage across PY= (2000/3000)*12 = 8V

Therefore, voltage across XY= 8-4 = 4 V

Reaction score

The Force break up into different components, ie, horizontal and vertical components. Therefore less force is applied on the tibia and femur (skeletal bones)

Reaction score
Remember that the voltage in parallel is same.

For top part:
The voltage across 500 resistor (PX) is 4 volts:
Voltage across PX= (500/1500)*12 = 4 V

For bottom part:
The voltage across 2000 resistor (PY) is 8 volts:
Voltage across PY= (2000/3000)*12 = 8V

Therefore, voltage across XY= 8-4 = 4 V
Thanks a lot dude !