• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can you plz plz help me urgently how to solve Question 5 paper 21 June 2009 I can't understand it !!!! Physics AS

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum! :) (reposting this question again)
is it true that the brightness of the fringes increases by increasing the width of both the slits without changing the separation 'a' between the slits? I thought that narrowing the slits makes the fringes brighter?
If its not too much trouble, could you please tell me all the relationships concerning the diffraction grating that the examiners frequently ask us about?
gary221?
Thanks a bunch!! :D

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum! :) (reposting this question again)
is it true that the brightness of the fringes increases by increasing the width of both the slits without changing the separation 'a' between the slits? I thought that narrowing the slits makes the fringes brighter?
If its not too much trouble, could you please tell me all the relationships concerning the diffraction grating that the examiners frequently ask us about?
gary221?
Thanks a bunch!! :D

think abt it this way. As u increase the width u let in more light thus at the point previously where u had constructive interference, over there now more waves will coincide due to the widening of the gaps. Thus the brightness increase.

Reaction score
gary221, I did come across the answer you posted above but I didn't quite get it...could you please answer it for me?

Reaction score
Physics p2 cancelled in pakistan due to official holidays from 9 to 13 May. Does anyone know that now on what date the paper will be conducted....?

Reaction score
Determining wavelength using a grating ---> d sinΘ = n
whr d = distance btw adjacent lines on the grating.
n = order of the maximum. only has 2 integer values (0, 1, 2, 3)

normally, they dont give u d outright...
bt sth like " the grating has 3000 lines per cm" ---> n u have 2 calculate d from this
ie d = 1 cm/no. of lines
d = 1/3000 = 3.33 * 10^-6 m

Reaction score
Determining wavelength using a grating ---> d sinΘ = n
whr d = distance btw adjacent lines on the grating.
n = order of the maximum. only has 2 integer values (0, 1, 2, 3)

normally, they dont give u d outright...
bt sth like " the grating has 3000 lines per cm" ---> n u have 2 calculate d from this
ie d = 1 cm/no. of lines
d = 1/3000 = 3.33 * 10^-6 m
Thank you! :)

Reaction score
gary221, I did come across the answer you posted above but I didn't quite get it...could you please answer it for me?

M not giving AS this yr..bt let me try.. :)

when u increase the width of the slits ---> more light now enters thru them.
So, both the interferences will increase as now more light = move waves = more constructive as well as destructive interfernces will take place.
ie more waves will coincide ---> leading to brighter fringes(as well as darker fringes).

Decreasing width increases sharpness of the fringes...nt brightness.
as light is not spread out..fringes will be sharper, but since lesser waves now coincide --> fringes will b less bright!!

Hope u gt it!!
:D

Reaction score
M not giving AS this yr..bt let me try.. :)

when u increase the width of the slits ---> more light now enters thru them.
So, both the interferences will increase as now more light = move waves = more constructive as well as destructive interfernces will take place.
ie more waves will coincide ---> leading to brighter fringes(as well as darker fringes).

Decreasing width increases sharpness of the fringes...nt brightness.
as light is not spread out..fringes will be sharper, but since lesser waves now coincide --> fringes will b less bright!!

Hope u gt it!!
:D
Jazaka'Allahum Khairan! :)

Reaction score
51885004dddf3.jpg

Using laws of Kirchhoff, solve for the values of I1, I2 and I3.
==
I have got the concept for kirchhoff's law and stuff, but then this question is confusing for me.
Please explain step by step.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Jazaka'Allahum Khairan! :)
This type of question has always been a disaster for me :p
Can you write all the possible effects of changes to the apparatus? (The ones you said, and also other changes like moving the screen further, changing wavelength, changing slit separation, etc.)

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_qp_2.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w05_ms_2.pdf
umm... plz explain question 5 part ci n cii as im unable to understand them from the mark scheme part cii can be done by ratio method too but I cant work it out so plz help with it :)
u need 2 find out k for wave A in terms of I. (I=ka2) then substitute this value of k in I'=ka2_formula for wave B. amplitude is read from the waveforms displaced. the new intensity of wave B is I'

Reaction score