• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
for Y=92 -57
for Z =235- 148 - 3 cux 3 neutrons are there

well not sure about the ii) part
when a reaction occurs then energy is realease and due to release of energy mass can be lost too so thats y the mass is nt equal :/

But the mass is 236 on both sides. I'm so confused.

Reaction score

We can answer this by thinking about the energy which is carried away by the particles (alpha or beta) and electromagnetic radiation (gamma) produced in the decay.Albert Einstein realised that we can think of energy as having mass. So if the mass of the nucleus decreases we must look around and find the energy which is carrying away this mass.The greater the apparent loss in mass the greater the amount of energy which is escaping.
To sum up we talk about "mass-energy" . In any closed system the total amount of mass-energy is conserved. If the mass goes down energy goes up and vice versa, but the total is constant

Reaction score
We can answer this by thinking about the energy which is carried away by the particles (alpha or beta) and electromagnetic radiation (gamma) produced in the decay.Albert Einstein realised that we can think of energy as having mass. So if the mass of the nucleus decreases we must look around and find the energy which is carrying away this mass.The greater the apparent loss in mass the greater the amount of energy which is escaping.
To sum up we talk about "mass-energy" . In any closed system the total amount of mass-energy is conserved. If the mass goes down energy goes up and vice versa, but the total is constant

You are quoting this from the physics as level course book. I don't understand why the question is saying the sum of the masses is not equal when if you compare both sides, the masses seem to be equal to me.

Reaction score
You are quoting this from the physics as level course book. I don't understand why the question is saying the sum of the masses is not equal when if you compare both sides, the masses seem to be equal to me.

look what i think is u are mistaking the nucleon number with the mass :/ i can be wrong mass is something different when a particle undergoes a radioactive reaction it loses energy cuz of the radiations involved and thats y mass is lost......i can be wrong though :oops:

Reaction score

neither mass nor energy is conserved separately, but that they could be traded one for the other and only the total "mass-energy" is conserved

Reaction score
we don't talk about mass in radioactive decays because the mass of a particle is different when they are moving as they move at very high speed. we talk about their energies. E=MC² and their kinetic energy. the energy can be in form of mass or in form of kinetic energy. in A level write 'mass-energy' is conserved.
although nucleon number are number of nucleons not the mass. means number of proton+neutrons are conserved.

Reaction score
I can explain you the last part i.e (ii) cuz other parts seem easy.
Wave traveling from S to X moves a distance of 5m.(simple pythagoras theorem i.e (4^2+3^2)^0.5
Wave traveling through SPX moves a distance of 7m.
So whats the path difference? 7-5 = 2m
Since for constructive interference path difference is n lamba, there will be maxima formed at X.

Reaction score
we don't talk about mass in radioactive decays because the mass of a particle is different when they are moving as they move at very high speed. we talk about their energies. E=MC² and their kinetic energy. the energy can be in form of mass or in form of kinetic energy. in A level write 'mass-energy' is conserved.
although nucleon number are number of nucleons not the mass. means number of proton+neutrons are conserved.

thank u ^_^

Reaction score
But the mass is 236 on both sides. I'm so confused.
Asad bhai no need to be confused.Theres a simple concept.In a radioactive decay,both nucleon and proton number are conserved.But the total mass of the particles after decay is less than that before the decay which is because of some loss of energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

Reaction score
Reaction score