• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I tried doing the first part ..
The thing I don't get is .. Why don't u take the ENTIRE area under the graph ... As in we took .5 *9*2.4 okhay understood ..
Then why not L *B ?
Y do we take 1/2 *6*1.6 only?
And lastly, why do we subtract them ? :$
It is a triangle :p not a square or a rectangle xD Area of triangle is 1/2 base * height. Once the velocity is in negative, the ball is coming back downwards. Now, the question asks the distance from the ground to the hill, where the ball is now resting. The ball reached its highest point (v = 0 here) then started coming back downwards (v in negative here) and stopped at a hill. Thus the areas are subtracted

Reaction score
Please help me.
This a question from Mj 2004 and It says to draw a wave on the same diagram with double the intensity and 180 Phase difference but I am cofused with the (o.2,0.4) how can I know about the angles meaning Interpret these points on x axis as angles.. Hope you know what meant to say.
But do help me :)
Screenshot_15.png

Reaction score
Please help me.
This a question from Mj 2004 and It says to draw a wave on the same diagram with double the intensity and 180 Phase difference but I am cofused with the (o.2,0.4) how can I know about the angles meaning Interpret these points on x axis as angles.. Hope you know what meant to say.
View attachment 42208

Reaction score
Please help me.
View attachment 42208
We know that a full wave has 360 degrees. 180 would be half of it. Furthermore, we also know that 180 means destructive interference which pretty much explains the whole question

Attachments

• xpa.png
    xpa.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
t
at maximum point, the crest and crest meet: so displacement = 1.4+2=3.4 units
at minumum point crest and trough meet so displacement = 2-1.4=0.6
I is directly proportional to a²
so ratio of I = 3.4²:0.6² = 32.1
Snow Angel
thnx can u plz explain q 5 aii) from: papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_qp_22.pdf

why is it I1R2/2 and I2R2/2???

THNX IN ADVANCE. if u don mind me askin, which variant r u writing for all ur papers?

zem

Reaction score
You can calculate the area by Box Counting method.
Find the area of an individual box between the two curve. Highlight small size boxes and multiply the total with the area of 1 box.

or another method is to assume the curve to be straight and apply the triangle area formula but I am not sure in this whether they have given a range in MS.
edit:
I found a useful site which shows a similar problem and he has assumed the curve to triangle.
http://tap.iop.org/mechanics/materials/229/page_46534.html
scroll down . and read the heading "Energy stored in stretched material"
because it said as long the object obeys hookes law than it is considered as a triangle. because u see the unloading part on question shows that it returns back to its orignal length
thanks alot!

Reaction score
We know that a full wave has 360 degrees. 180 would be half of it. Furthermore, we also know that 180 means destructive interference which pretty much explains the whole question
i know that but How do I Interpret that at this point the second and first wave has a PD of 180.
Like Turn 0.2,0.3,0.4 etc in angles* So that i may find it easy to locate 180 on the graph. That is what i am trying to say

further more..
If intensity is doubles than It means that Amp is 4 times increased ..right? *read the question*

btw :p Hey! I see my Name *imFamous*

Reaction score
i know that but How do I Interpret that at this point the second and first wave has a PD of 180.
Like Turn 0.2,0.3,0.4 etc in angles* So that i may find it easy to locate 180 on the graph. That is what i am trying to say

further more..
If intensity is doubles than It means that Amp is 4 times increased ..right? *read the question*

btw :p Hey! I see my Name *imFamous*
180 Phase difference equals one half of a wave. Just for your convenience, start the other wave after the half of the first wave, and then extend it to either sides. You will understand.
I = A^2 Amplitude here is 5. Put in the values get the amplitude double it and underroot :p
The Calculating no of minima and maxima wala.

How did do know it would be sin teeta = 2 lamda.. is it written anywhere
It says the second order.... second means 2 :p And we put in sin 90 to calculate the maximum number of orders. The light can't diffract more than 90 of course (according to my knowledge :p ) and thus when we put in 90 we get a decimal value of something around 5.7... Thus our answer would be 5

Reaction score
I am confused about significant figures in paper 2. I've always been told to give as many significant figures in the answer as the least number in the data provided e.g. If data has both 2 and 3 significant figures, the answer must have 2 as it's the number in the least precise data. However, in the papers the mark scheme doesn't always follow this rule. Check out MJ11p23 question 3. Can somebody please explain why the examiners do this and give me a perfect rule about significant figures? Thank you!:)