• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
:/ Its a sad thing, tum logoko jo hard lagta hain, meko wo easy lagta hain, meko jo hard lagta hain, appko easy lagta hain :/
ok listen... as the light is passing through the polariser then it's amplitude is chnged by cos60... lets suppose the initial amplitude is 1... and when light passes through the polariser then the amplitude will chnge to 1cos60= 0.5
when the amplitude is halved then the intensity decreases by 4...
so I/4=(1/2)^2
and our ans will be 0.25I

Reaction score
Again, now hope I am helpful to you :(
9)use the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as
where
positive direction = direction of train
u = original velocity (speed of train)
v = final velocity (zero)
a = acceleration of train (in this case, acceleration is negative)
s = distance (from point where velocity = u to where velocity = v)

The problem uses x for distance, not s, so the equation we'll use is v^2 = u^2 + 2ax

because v = 0, we can write
u^2 + 2ax = 0, rearranging as:
x = -(u^2) / 2a . . . . . . . . Note - a has a negative value, thus making x positive
the deceleration doesn't change, hence, x is directly proportional to u^2.....
x = Ku^2 where K = -1 / (2a)
ie. x varies as the square of u
so if u increases by 20% (ie changes by a factor of 1.2), then x will change by a factor of (1.2)^2
which is a factor of 1.44
thus the minimum distance between yellow and red must now be 1.44x

25)Not sure ._. Suchal Riaz
1I 1A^(2) ---> (we can write it as 2I 2A^(2) means any value of I will be same as A^(2))
So [a cos (60)]^(2) = 0.25A^(2)
Hence we can write it as 0.25I 0.25A^(2)

I am not sure about 25 I think this is only the way... if anyone knows any other way, do tell me...

This is the formula that relates Intensity I to Amplitude x:

I = 2(π)^2 * ρ(ƒ)^2v(Δxmax)^2

Where I = Intensity, ρ = density of medium where wave is travelling, ƒ = frequency of vibration, v = speed of propagation of wave and Δxmax= maximum amplitude.

(This is from an advanced website, paper me nahi pucchenge).

Since the wave is traveling from air into air, the density of medium is constant. The frequency of the wave doesn't change (orange light pass kare to orange dim ho jata hai, par orange hi rehta hai) so f is constant. The speed of the wave depends on medium, since medium doesn't change speed doesn't change. Amplitude changes, that is why Intensity changes.

So I = kA^2 before light passes through polarizing filter.

After it passes through filter,

I(final) = kA(final)^2
I(final) = kA2(cos 60)^2

Dividing both equations, k cancels out because it doesn't change. A^2 cancels because it is the same variable. So,

I(final)/I = (cos 60)^2

So, I(final) = (0.5)(0.5) * I

I(final) = 0.25I = A.

Hope this helped!

Good Luck for all your exams!

Reaction score
ok listen... as the light is passing through the polariser then it's amplitude is chnged by cos60... lets suppose the initial amplitude is 1... and when light passes through the polariser then the amplitude will chnge to 1cos60= 0.5
when the amplitude is halved then the intensity decreases by 4...
so I/4=(1/2)^2
and our ans will be 0.25I
I m getting more confused ._.
y u assumed 1 :/
y u halved, hw u got 4
??? :/

Reaction score
This is the formula that relates Intensity I to Amplitude x:

I = 2(π)^2 * ρ(ƒ)^2v(Δxmax)^2

Where I = Intensity, ρ = density of medium where wave is travelling, ƒ = frequency of vibration, v = speed of propagation of wave and Δxmax= maximum amplitude.

(This is from an advanced website, paper me nahi pucchenge).

Since the wave is traveling from air into air, the density of medium is constant. The frequency of the wave doesn't change (orange light pass kare to orange dim ho jata hai, par orange hi rehta hai) so f is constant. The speed of the wave depends on medium, since medium doesn't change speed doesn't change. Amplitude changes, that is why Intensity changes.

So I = kA^2 before light passes through polarizing filter.

After it passes through filter,

I(final) = kA(final)^2
I(final) = kA2(cos 60)^2

Dividing both equations, k cancels out because it doesn't change. A^2 cancels because it is the same variable. So,

I(final)/I = (cos 60)^2

So, I(final) = (0.5)(0.5) * I

I(final) = 0.25I = A.

Hope this helped!

Good Luck for all your exams!
Got it, <3 ty ;)

Reaction score
I m getting more confused ._.
y u assumed 1 :/
y u halved, hw u got 4
??? :/
luk we knw that I is directly proportional to A^2
this means that when the A is doubled then the intensity increases by 4 ... it increases by 4 because only A is squared not the I
so when A is halved then I will decrease by 4
i assumed 1 for a bcuz we can see that a is not chnged... the only extra thing we r gettng is cos60 after the light passes through the polariser...n ths thing is the one that is chngng the A... and as cos60=0.5 so we can see that it halves the value of the amplitude... that's the reason y the intensity is decreased by 4...

Reaction score
great -_- i solve it in detail and the problem in solved
nyways ty ;)
luk we knw that I is directly proportional to A^2
this means that when the A is doubled then the intensity increases by 4 ... it increases by 4 because only A is squared not the I
so when A is halved then I will decrease by 4
i assumed 1 for a bcuz we can see that a is not chnged... the only extra thing we r gettng is cos60 after the light passes through the polariser...n ths thing is the one that is chngng the A... and as cos60=0.5 so we can see that it halves the value of the amplitude... that's the reason y the intensity is decreased by 4...
can we assume anything to be 1 if it is unchanged ?
well I got it ty ;)