• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
This question or a question like this has been also answered somewhere before in this thread. You can check it too if you want to.
And I suggest you redo this question too.

Reaction score
Assalamu alaikum,
Young modulus = stress/ strain
therefore Young modulus = F/A/delta l/l
therefore Young modulus = Fp l/A delta l
therefore E = Fpl/delta l => Fp = A delta le/l
Young modulus is represented by E and Fp represents the Force on wire P;
therefore E = Fq (2l )/(A/2) delta l => Fq = EA delta l/4l
therefore Fp/Fq = A deltaE/l/AE delta l/4l
therefore Fp/Fq = 4 Ans D
p.s. check your marking scheme : )

Reaction score
Young modulus = Stress/Strain
E = F/A/delta l/l
therefore E = 60/pi r^2/delta l/l
therefore E = 60/pi (d/4)^2/delta l/l
Equating both the Young modulus, since the wire is of the same material;
therefore 60/pi r^2/delta l/l = 60/pi r^2/32/l/4
therefore l = 8mm Ans C
Note: In this question, the value of extensions are put in mm instead of metres. The answer gained is also in mm.
l = 8 mm Ans C

Reaction score
Thanks.in the 1st question u answered , How do we know which ones clockwise and which ones anticlockwise :/ ? and why are we doing 10x2 the pivot distance is 4 from the 10n force ...

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

this question is really anoying me. The question asks us to calculate the potential difference at B when the temperature is 15 C The marking scheme says that the potential difference at B is 2.4 V but I have calculated it to be 6.6 V, using 2200*9/(2200+800).
Consequently it asks for the output power which would be +9.0 V in case I am correct. And following which LED would be bright, if I am correct the first one (green).
All the answers in the marking scheme are the opposite of mine because of the first difference in the answer. 2.4 vs 6.6.

is the marking scheme wrong?

11j4tx0.jpg

Thank you very much!

Reaction score

Efficiency=(Useful Energy Output/Total Energy Input)x100%
It says the machine is only 25% efficient. So only a quarter of the kinetic energy of the water passing through the wheel can be used to produce a useful 110kJ output (this is every second).
So you get : 0.25 x (Kinetic Energy of water flowing every second through wheel)=110kJ
0.25 x 0.5 x (mass of water) x (15.3440...)^2=110
mass of water= 3740kg
Final answer= 3740kg/s

Reactions: omg