• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP
Change in internal energy = heat energy supplied to system + work done ON the system.

When the liquid water became water vapour, the water did work on the atmosphere, so it lost internal energy. Work hadn't been done on the system; rather the system did work. It's like a gas expanding. It does work to expand and in doing so it loses internal energy.
Basically that's why it became negative.

Reaction score
Change in internal energy = heat energy supplied to system + work done ON the system.

When the liquid water became water vapour, the water did work on the atmosphere, so it lost internal energy. Work hadn't been done on the system; rather the system did work. It's like a gas expanding. It does work to expand and in doing so it loses internal energy.
Basically that's why it became negative.
got it Thank u

Reaction score
hiii, does anyone have any clue on whats coming in physics paper 31 this may/june? please share, thanks

Reaction score
My Book says :

1.Back Emf seems to imply opposition, something not wanted, yet in a motor it is the induced emf that is responsible for the mechanical work output of the motor.

2.The workdone against the induced emf in a motor is the useful work output of the motor. Workdone against the resistance of the wires is wasted as thermal energy

explain please?

How is back emf responsible for the ouput of a motor? :S isn't motor supposed to provide us force or mechanical energy

Reaction score
the gradient of boyle's law graph represents Temperature or the area under the graph? or neither of them? if we are asked to draw a graph at a higher temp and at a lower temp, why should we draw the graph of higher temp slightly above that for lower temp. I've seen that in several books but fail to understand why

Reaction score
View attachment 60059
can anyone help me with this qtn...???
First consider the left two columns of mercury. The pressure difference between the atmospheric pressure and air inside the colum is given by:
P - 760 = x (we are subtracting 760 from P since we can see that air inside is at a higher pressure than atmospheric pressure)
P = 760 + x ---- (i)

Now consider the right two columns of mercury. The pressure difference b/w the air inside and atmospheric pressure is given by :
P - 760 = 50 - y
P = 810 - y ----(ii)

Solve these two equations (i) & (ii), you'll get,
760 + x = 810 - y
x + y = 50
^ this expression tells us that sum of the values of x & y must be equal to 50, so eliminate all those options which do not sum up to 50. This is will relieve our headache a bit :p Phew! A & D are finally gone :D

Now you know that between B & C, there's one culprit option :p
Substitute the values of x & y from these two options into the equations (i) & (ii). If both the values in an option satisfy both equations, then that will be our required answer.

So put them one by one:

Option B:
780 = 760 +20 (Correct!)
780 = 810 - 30 (Correct!)

Option C:
810 = 760 + 30 (Incorrect!)
810 = 810 - 20 (Again incorrect!)

So the correct option is B.

I hope it makes sense :p

Reaction score
pp.PNG
the gradient of boyle's law graph represents Temperature or the area under the graph? or neither of them? if we are asked to draw a graph at a higher temp and at a lower temp, why should we draw the graph of higher temp slightly above that for lower temp. I've seen that in several books but fail to understand why
Boyle's Law states that for given mass of gas at a constant temperature (oC or K), the product of the pressure multiplied by the volume is a constant

The graph shows how the pressure and volume vary according to Boyles Law at two different temperatures

• At lower temperatures the volume and pressure values are lower
    • so the gradient of higher temperature T2 is steeper than T1

Reaction score
First consider the left two columns of mercury. The pressure difference between the atmospheric pressure and air inside the colum is given by:
P - 760 = x (we are subtracting 760 from P since we can see that air inside is at a higher pressure than atmospheric pressure)
P = 760 + x ---- (i)

Now consider the right two columns of mercury. The pressure difference b/w the air inside and atmospheric pressure is given by :
P - 760 = 50 - y
P = 810 - y ----(ii)

Solve these two equations (i) & (ii), you'll get,
760 + x = 810 - y
x + y = 50
^ this expression tells us that sum of the values of x & y must be equal to 50, so eliminate all those options which do not sum up to 50. This is will relieve our headache a bit :p Phew! A & D are finally gone :D

Now you know that between B & C, there's one culprit option :p
Substitute the values of x & y from these two options into the equations (i) & (ii). If both the values in an option satisfy both equations, then that will be our required answer.

So put them one by one:

Option B:
780 = 760 +20 (Correct!)
780 = 810 - 30 (Correct!)

Option C:
810 = 760 + 30 (Incorrect!)
810 = 810 - 20 (Again incorrect!)

So the correct option is B.

I hope it makes sense :p
thanks alots......:):)(y)

Reaction score
View attachment 60060

Boyle's Law states that for given mass of gas at a constant temperature (oC or K), the product of the pressure multiplied by the volume is a constant

The graph shows how the pressure and volume vary according to Boyles Law at two different temperatures

• At lower temperatures the volume and pressure values are lower
    • so the gradient of higher temperature T2 is steeper than T1
so basically the temperature is the product of P and V>?

Reaction score
The question asked us to place a capacitor for smoothing in the circuit
Why should it be across SQ?
eScreenshot 2016-04-02 21.20.27.png