• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please explain how to do the graph for part c? this is mj 2016 paper 42
17022320_1811334162463734_4707874945957989174_n.jpg

Reaction score
mj 2016/42 q 9 bii
Help anyone??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 4.51.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 4.51.09 PM.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have this doubt that's been bugging me for so long now.

Why is the electric potential inside a charge conducting sphere constant?
Why is the electric field inside a charge conducting sphere equal to zero? (I know that since there is no change in potential, E = 0 but isn't there any explanation for that?)

It'd be really helpful if you guys could clear this for me and I'd love a simple/precise explanation that is A Level based.

Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have this doubt that's been bugging me for so long now.

Why is the electric potential inside a charge conducting sphere constant?
Why is the electric field inside a charge conducting sphere equal to zero? (I know that since there is no change in potential, E = 0 but isn't there any explanation for that?)

It'd be really helpful if you guys could clear this for me and I'd love a simple/precise explanation that is A Level based.

Thank you. :)
Both questions can be answered by the same fact: electric charge is distributed uniformly inside the conducting sphere.

When outside the sphere, the electric field is not uniform - it is more concentrated nearer the sphere surface. This means there is a "concentration gradient" outside the sphere (with respect to distance).
Electric field is actually a measure of the magnitude of this gradient.
Electric potential is actually a measure of the integral of this gradient.

But when inside the conducting sphere, charge is uniform everywhere, meaning there is no such gradient, or gradient is zero.
Since gradient = 0 everywhere in the sphere:
- Electric field is zero.
- The integral is constant, which means electric potential is constant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could really use some help here with this question!

'' A hard ball and a soft ball, with equal masses and volumes, are thrown at a glass
window. The balls hit the window at the same speed. Suggest why the hard ball is more
likely than the soft ball to break the glass window. ''

Reaction score
Reaction score
um..............I am giving my AS level in May/June 2017 session and now I have around 50 days in my hand and what do I do to get most of the marks as in an A and how do I plan my revision time

Reaction score
upload_2017-3-12_20-7-21.png
9702_s15_qp_41, Question 12(c)(i)

Can someone tell me how to solve this question? I tried my method, but it's way off the MS.
Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
um..............I am giving my AS level in May/June 2017 session and now I have around 50 days in my hand and what do I do to get most of the marks as in an A and how do I plan my revision time
Do a lot of past papers. That's how I revise usually and definitely read the notes.