• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

The first graph you attached is obviously wrong cuz its an alpha particle and there will be deflection when it passes by the nucleus.
In the second graph the shape of my graph is similar but what will be the labelling of the y-axis?
And the third attachment is very much like how i drew it and is desribed in the mark scheme so at least i've got that one correct!

Reaction score
The first graph you attached is obviously wrong cuz its an alpha particle and there will be deflection when it passes by the nucleus.
In the second graph the shape of my graph is similar but what will be the labelling of the y-axis?
And the third attachment is very much like how i drew it and is desribed in the mark scheme so at least i've got that one correct!

yeah but if you look at the alpha particle before it only has a slight deflection so the one above is most likely to go undeflected if not a puny deflection

Reaction score
yeah but if you look at the alpha particle before it only has a slight deflection so the one above is most likely to go undeflected if not a puny deflection

no it will experience deflection because it does pass near to the nucleus but wat i just did realise is that the deviation will be after the one for the other particle and will have a smaller deviation angle than the other particle because of being further away form the nucleus.

Reaction score

ok then
for the first row the power dissipated is obviously 0 because the circuit is incomplete so no electricty will flow
2nd row current will always go through the route with less resistance so power is 1.5kW as current "avoids" B
3rd current will only flow through A + C so total is 3.0kW
4th p= V^2/r since the resistors are in series voltage is shared equally since they have same electrical requirements so V is halfed while R remains constant so new voltage is (0.5v)^2 which is 0.25v^2 so P= 2*(0.25*240^2)/38.4 =750
5th 0.75kW + 1.5kW =2.25kW

hope it helped : D

Reaction score
Reaction score
ok then
for the first row the power dissipated is obviously 0 because the circuit is incomplete so no electricty will flow
2nd row current will always go through the route with less resistance so power is 1.5kW as current "avoids" B
3rd current will only flow through A + C so total is 3.0kW
4th p= V^2/r since the resistors are in series voltage is shared equally since they have same electrical requirements so V is halfed while R remains constant so new voltage is (0.5v)^2 which is 0.25v^2 so P= 2*(0.25*240^2)/38.4 =750
5th 0.75kW + 1.5kW =2.25kW

hope it helped : D

Y does the current avoid B in 2nd? And what do you mean 2nd row current will always go through less resistance route?

Reaction score
Y does the current avoid B in 2nd? And what do you mean 2nd row current will always go through less resistance route?

well i have been taught to think of current as a living thing and that wires are passageways where current walks freely in. resistors are a like narrow tunnels funneling the current to go in as "a single line" so if there is a less narrow route the current will go through it which is in this case S2 as it has no resistance

Reaction score
well i have been taught to think of current as a living thing and that wires are passageways where current walks freely in. resistors are a like narrow tunnels funneling the current to go in as "a single line" so if there is a less narrow route the current will go through it which is in this case S2 as it has no resistance
Oh tnx! A new thing which I learnt so its always like this?