• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
This question 5 of CIE A-LEVELS of 9702/02/O/N/07 (PHYSICS ouc/nov. 2007)

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_qp_2.pdf

"(c) State the effect, if any, on the appearance of the fringes observed on the screen when the following changes are made, separately, to the double-slit arrangement in (b).
(i) The width of each slit is increased but the separation remains constant.
..................................................................................................................................
..................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................. [3]"

My response:
As the INTENSITY is inversely proportional to the AREA , so on increasing width of the slit(AREA) the INTENSITY decreases. As INTENSITY is directly proportional to the (AMPLITUDE)^2 so Amplitude also decreases.
Thus bright fringe becomes less bright, dark remain the same and off course there is no effect on fringe width as fringe separation remains same.

Answer in Marking Scheme:

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_ms_2.pdf

(c) (i) same separation B1
bright areas brighter (1) dark areas, no change (1)
(allow ‘contrast greater’ for 1 mark if dark/light areas not discussed)
fewer fringes observed (1) any two, 1 each

What I dont understand is how bright fringe get brighter and how come there are fewer fringes observed, according to answer??? :(

Please explain... :(
The intensity is inversely proportional to area on which it falls not through which it passes. As the bright fringes would be the same distance apart as fringe separation and distance of screen is unchanged., the area at which the light falls would be the same. But now only difference is that more light passes through the fringes and still falls on the same area. So wouldn't the intensity increase?
Lets say a windows illuminates your room and it's left half opened. it is dark(low intensity) in your room. So you decided to open your windows. You room's surface area remains same and you open you windows full. Now more light enter through it. So it will be brighter in your room.

Reaction score
The intensity is inversely proportional to area on which it falls not through which it passes. As the bright fringes would be the same distance apart as fringe separation and distance of screen is unchanged., the area at which the light falls would be the same. But now only difference is that more light passes through the fringes and still falls on the same area. So wouldn't the intensity increase?
Lets say a windows illuminates your room and it's left half opened. it is dark(low intensity) in your room. So you decided to open your windows. You room's surface area remains same and you open you windows full. Now more light enter through it. So it will be brighter in your room.
Thanks.. Nicely explained..

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Hassan!(y)...for P4 does it help to memories the mark schemes as well?....and in P5 are you supposed to answer in point form or paragraphs?

For phy applications memories each and everything in the ms ...like the ans of all essay/long questions ....and for core syllabus learn the definations from ms ..not from the book.
For p5 dont attempt the Q1 in point form.

Reaction score

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_qp_2.pdf

"(c) State the effect, if any, on the appearance of the fringes observed on the screen when the following changes are made, separately, to the double-slit arrangement in (b).
........................................... [3]"

My response:
As the INTENSITY is inversely proportional to the AREA , so on increasing width of the slit(AREA) the INTENSITY decreases. As INTENSITY is directly proportional to the (AMPLITUDE)^2 so Amplitude also decreases.
Thus bright fringe becomes less bright, dark remain the same and off course there is no effect on fringe width as fringe separation remains same.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_ms_2.pdf

What I dont understand is how bright fringe get brighter and how come there are fewer fringes observed, according to answer??? :(

Reaction score

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_qp_2.pdf

........................................... [3]"

My response:

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w07_ms_2.pdf

i explained it earlier. didn't you get it? what problem u are having in it. we can discuss.

Reaction score
I understood that why brightness is increasing..!! But tell me why less fringes are formed. :confused: ..!!
The central fringe is most brightest. And then the second one is less bright. And so on. So the last couple of fringes we see are very very less bright.
As now the overall brightness increase, we are able to see those fringes which otherwise wouldn't be visible to us as their brightness would be extremely small.