• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
the velocity wil be 0.18 ok did u halve the distance
yeah i did!
look what i did:
a = -xw^2 , w = (0.89/0.035) and square root = 5.04
v = -Aw sinwt = 0.07 * 5.04 * 1 = 0.35 -______________________________-

Reaction score
Well, apparently, i need to halve the 70mm when i use it in the v eqn again, but WHY????? dont we want Amplitude there? :S and Amplitude should be 70mm right? :S

Reaction score
Well, apparently, i need to halve the 70mm when i use it in the v eqn again, but WHY????? dont we want Amplitude there? :S and Amplitude should be 70mm right? :S
ya u hve 2 and 70 mm is the total distance 4 1 complete oscillation look they said total distance so i understood it ths way and also i hve a doubt in wat's the diff between x and A

Reaction score
ya u hve 2 and 70 mm is the total distance 4 1 complete oscillation look they said total distance so i understood it ths way and also i hve a doubt in wat's the diff between x and A
i know, but we need to do that for the first eqn as we only want x (that is max displacement) in that equation BUT for the velocity equation its A (which IS the total distance moved). So y do we halve it? :S

Reaction score
i know, but we need to do that for the first eqn as we only want x (that is max displacement) in that equation BUT for the velocity equation its A (which IS the total distance moved). So y do we halve it? :S
amplitude is also the max distance frm the equilibrium position

Reaction score
im really confused and is there a diff between x and A and maybe they havle it bcz total dis is 70 of it went 2 times through 35 mm i guess its 1 complete oscillation isn't it?
LOLZ m confused too :confused: yeah but in the v equation we NEED the distance for 1 oscillation, thats what is A :confused:

Reaction score
ya its the max displacement frm equlibrium position look in the pearson book pg 151 the pendulum dynamics paragraph 2
Oksay.. i'll check in a sec :)
Thanks so much :') n the rest of the question i did it, dats easy right? :)

Reaction score
ya its the max displacement frm equlibrium position look in the pearson book pg 151 the pendulum dynamics paragraph 2
Thanks SO much... now i get it why i was getting so many of my oscillations numericals wrong even though my method was corrct -__-"
THanks a LOT :D

Reaction score
Thanks SO much... now i get it why i was getting so many of my oscillations numericals wrong even though my method was corrct -__-"
THanks a LOT :D
wlc :) ok i ned u 2 explain me the last part of tht que and y they tuned the damper 2 the natural frequency of the bridge?

Reaction score
wlc :) ok i ned u 2 explain me the last part of tht que and y they tuned the damper 2 the natural frequency of the bridge?
well at resonant frequency, maximum energy absorption occurs so if they have the same natural frequency, then the bridge will give the energy to the springs and as they are damped heavily, the energy will be dissipated... no energy means the bridge wont vibrate :)

Reaction score
well at resonant frequency, maximum energy absorption occurs so if they have the same natural frequency, then the bridge will give the energy to the springs and as they are damped heavily, the energy will be dissipated... no energy means the bridge wont vibrate :)
ok nw the damper shld equal the bridge's natural frequency?and i kno tht it wil tranfer energy 2 the bridge?