• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Unit 4 JUNE 11/6/12

How well did you do on the exam?

• Total voters
Reaction score
yes for maximum enegry transfer :to occur :)
ok i wil tel u how i wrote it : they absorb energy from the oscillation of the bridge and dissipate it into the surrounding. this reduces the amplitude of oscillations exponentially avoiding resonance whch cld cause the bridge 2 collapse and it shld be heavily damped 2 prevent large amplitude build up ? it it correct i fel there's smethng wrng

Reaction score
ok i wil tel u how i wrote it : they absorb energy from the oscillation of the bridge and dissipate it into the surrounding. this reduces the amplitude of oscillations exponentially avoiding resonance whch cld cause the bridge 2 collapse and it shld be heavily damped 2 prevent large amplitude build up ? it it correct i fel there's smethng wrng
well it doesnt "avoid" resonance, it only transfers the energy to the spring which are stiff so they dissipate the energy and are damped so can't vibrate.Since there is less energy, the bridge wont vibrate either.
Resonance still occurs, but its effect is reduced :)

Reaction score
i
wnted q(5) last part and q(6)
Q5) well the car will move up and down with the bridge right? but when comming down, the ony force on it is gravity and the acceleration due to that is 9.8 which is less that that of the bridge. This means the bridge will be down and the car will still not have travelled that distance so it will loose touch :)

Q6) which part? (btw, i dont think they specified what is f(nought) :S)

Reaction score
well it doesnt "avoid" resonance, it only transfers the energy to the spring which are stiff so they dissipate the energy and are damped so can't vibrate.Since there is less energy, the bridge wont vibrate either.
Resonance still occurs, but its effect is reduced :)
so when the bridge oscillate due to people walking it wil then reach its natural frequency and since the dampers are tuned to the bridge's natural frequency so the bridge transfers energy 2 them? and why they say havily damped they mean abt the bridge or the dampers?

Reaction score
Q5) well the car will move up and down with the bridge right? but when comming down, the ony force on it is gravity and the acceleration due to that is 9.8 which is less that that of the bridge. This means the bridge will be down and the car will still not have travelled that distance so it will loose touch :)

Q6) which part? (btw, i dont think they specified what is f(nought) :S)
1st part the exp part?

Reaction score
so when the bridge oscillate due to people walking it wil then reach its natural frequency and since the dampers are tuned to the bridge's natural frequency so the bridge transfers energy 2 them? and why they say havily damped they mean abt the bridge or the dampers?
it can be ppl or wind or nething acctually :) and its IF it reaches its natural frquency (a precaution really ;))

They're talking about the bridge and the dampers (in the dampers its due to their stiffness)

Reaction score
1st part the exp part?
u want me to tell u the experiment? U need to give the spring a pull-and-release, then record the time for 20 oscillations and divide the time by 20. Repeat and average. Ensure that the oscillations are in a straight line only :)
(This is part of Unit 6 btw :p)

Reaction score
u want me to tell u the experiment? U need to give the spring a pull-and-release, then record the time for 20 oscillations and divide the time by 20. Repeat and average. Ensure that the oscillations are in a straight line only :)
(This is part of Unit 6 btw :p)
ohh thnx alot and sry 4 disturbing u alot :)

Reaction score
ohh thnx alot and sry 4 disturbing u alot :)
ur so welcome n PULEEZ! Ur not disturbing me a BIT! Infact ur forcing me to study physics so i should thank you for that :whistle:

What are you doing now, as in revising what? :)

Reaction score
happy time wth astrophysics:)
:LOL: thanks!
Though i think it'll be more like torture :cautious:
U'll enjoy wid Nuclear Physics :love: (Its one of the few chapters that make ne much sense to me :p)

M logging off now btw, I'll come again in the evening/night Inshallah... just post if u need nething :)
Bye ^_^

Reaction score
U'll enjoy wid Nuclear Physics :love: (Its one of the few chapters that make ne much sense to me :p)

M logging off now btw, I'll come again in the evening/night Inshallah... just post if u need nething :)
Bye ^_^
bye tc :)

Reaction score

Bye ^_^
heyy..:) i wanna ask u did u solve sample's assesment material?

Reaction score
i hate astrophysics and yet i didn study anythng it u can say i kno nthn in it:( hope i'll be able 2 finish my studies as soon as possible
SAME HERE :cry: I said i'll do it that time but i only got as far as the gravitation parts :(
Inshallah u will dw :)

Reaction score
no
SAME HERE :cry: I said i'll do it that time but i only got as far as the gravitation parts :(
Inshallah u will dw :)
seriously i didn study it ever b4 like 2day im studying frm the begining and past papers r wonderful 4 the ques's:(