• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb..
Well...it is the electrolysis of concentrated aquesous sodium chloride..which means that chlorine will be discharged at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode...

the color of universal indicator will change to colorless as we know that chlorine bleaches it...
on the other hand i think that the color on the cathode is for the solution remaining...the solution remaining is sodium hydroxide which is alkaline so the color will be bluish purple...(such question we had in some other year also where they said that the products at cathode is sodiumn hydroxide)

if you didn't get it..feel free to ask :)

2nd question...bcoz it is lower in the series than hydrogen so it can't displace it...

Reaction score

Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb..
Well...it is the electrolysis of concentrated aquesous sodium chloride..which means that chlorine will be discharged at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode...

the color of universal indicator will change to colorless as we know that chlorine bleaches it...
on the other hand i think that the color on the cathode is for the solution remaining...the solution remaining is sodium hydroxide which is alkaline so the color will be bluish purple...(such question we had in some other year also where they said that the products at cathode is sodiumn hydroxide)

if you didn't get it..feel free to ask :)

2nd question...bcoz it is lower in the series than hydrogen so it can't displace it...
more detail:

firstly hydrogen gas has no effect on the universal indicator paper...secondly the gas escapes so what is remaining at the cathode? sodium hydroxide..so the color will be blue!

Reaction score
how did you all solve this question ? i got the right answer but just want to confirm it ??

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
hey guys I dont understand why the ans to Q39 nov/2011 variant 1 is D :S

b/c t has the largest quantity of gasoline which is petrol which is used by cars (motor vehicles) even it has largest quantity of diesel u used by trucks which are also motor vehicles

Reaction score
how did you all solve this question ? i got the right answer but just want to confirm it ??

View attachment 12886
I THINK it will be like hmmm.....................................
see oxygen present in the atmoshere is 21% . If at the end of the reaction it is 120 cm3 , then the starting cannot be C and D ! So the left are 132 cm3 and 150 cm3 . 132 cant be the answer because it less than 21 % . So the left is 150 cm3 (which is the ans ).

Reaction score
b/c t has the largest quantity of gasoline which is petrol which is used by cars (motor vehicles) even it has largest quantity of diesel u used by trucks which are also motor vehicles
So I choose the one with the most gasoline ?

Reaction score

View attachment 12886
hey I solved it like
I assumed the starting was "x"
so "x"-(21%ofx)=120
so --> x- 0.21x = 120
so we get 0.79x=120
therefore, x=120/0.79 which is equal to 151 cm3 approx.
I hope you got the way I used :)

Reaction score
chemistry
w09 q#14
variant 2
ok listn the arrangement of the apparatus allows OH- ions to move to the cathode but prevents sodium to leave the cathode so at the cathode rxn occurs Na+ + OH- --> NaoH colour turns blue due to ^pH

Reaction score
i have two questions i wish someone would explain to me.
Its from the o levels chemistry may june 2003 questions 5 and 32.
I read the er but don't understand anything form it.

Reaction score