• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

POST YOUR BIO AND CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBT HERE !!!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
I think the question is missing some information, because for the aqueous sodium chloride, if it is concentrated, chlorine is produced at the anode, but if it's dilute, oxygen is produced. And sodium hydroxide is produce either way, concentrated or dilute. But molten sodium chloride only gives sodium and chlorine. Hope this helps :D
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb...
well if oxyger, OH- is produced, it means that chlorine remain as the solution...i.e the solution is Sodium Chloride NOT Sodium Hydroxide..

actually....the theory behind this question (as others say) is that...once the OH- ions are discharged...the solution, sodium chloride becomes concentrated....so chlorine is discharged too, and the remaining solution is sodium hydroxide...

Hope ^that helps :D

Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum wr wb...
well if oxyger, OH- is produced, it means that chlorine remain as the solution...i.e the solution is Sodium Chloride NOT Sodium Hydroxide..

actually....the theory behind this question (as others say) is that...once the OH- ions are discharged...the solution, sodium chloride becomes concentrated....so chlorine is discharged too, and the remaining solution is sodium hydroxide...

Hope ^that helps :D
Exactly since both cocentration of H and OH ions decreases which resmble water…

Reaction score
Consider the equation where
The more reactive halogen displaces the less reactive one.Since,iodine is nearly the least reactive so it can't displace any halogen ,except At which is rarely used,..
So X2 is Chlorine..
Consider chlorine is passed through aqueous potassium iodide,the result will be potassium chloride and iodine(in solution)..
Potassium iodide is colourless and iodine solution is yellow brown.
plz help me with this quesdtion: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_w05_qp_1.pdf
q35..
thanks!

Reaction score
40 At each stage in a food chain, energy is lost.
What is a result of this?
A All living organisms respire.
B Food chains always begin with green plants.
C Plants are called producers and animals consumers.
D There are very few food chains with more than five organisms

why is the answer D not A....???

Reaction score
PLZ ANYONE HERE CAN HELP ME !!!
HOW WILL WE KNOW THAT THE FIRST ONE WILL BE DISPERSE BY ANY MAMMAL AND THE SECOND ONE BY WIND ??? IS THERE ANY VISIBLE FEATURE ???

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)View attachment 12212
Fruit 1 is more prickly than fruit 2, so there is a high chance of fruit 1 being carried by mammals. Fruit1's stem looks sticky (grey shade) so,again, better chance for fruit 1 to stick to the animals fur.... :)

Reaction score
40 At each stage in a food chain, energy is lost.
What is a result of this?
A All living organisms respire.
B Food chains always begin with green plants.
C Plants are called producers and animals consumers.
D There are very few food chains with more than five organisms

why is the answer D not A....???
Energy is lost between successive food chains , so there is no high chance to have more than 5 living organisms . So because there is energy lost in ( respiration , excretion , homeastasis etc...) so D sounds more reasonable because as energy is being lost when it reaches the last trophic level there will be a very small amount of energy which cannot stand any other trophic level higher to live .So D is more Reasonable to explain At each stage in a food chain , energy is lost .

Reaction score
Atom X has 8 more electrons than atom Y.
Student 1 says they are in the same group.
Student 2 says they are unreactive.
Which students can be correct?
student 1 student 2
A  yes yes
B  yes no
C  no yes
D  no no
I don't get the question so that i will solve it

Reaction score
could you please explain why the answers A?
which process can convert molecules to new substances by removing hydrogen atom?
A)Displacement
B)fermentation
C)Neutralisation
D)oxidation

Reaction score
hi i have a chemistry question :)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_w03_qp_1.pdf

question 8

the answer is C... i thought non metals had low m/p and b/p as that is what it says in my text book... so i chose A but thats wrong..why? thanks

also for question 15, the answer is D. The examiner said , "............This suggests that either they were
confused about endo-versus exo-thermic or about the neutrality of solution of a salt such as potassium
nitrate. "

what does he/she mean about that neutraility of solution of salt...? is there something that we need to know? For me, i thought that the pH doesn't fall because potassium nitrate is basic... am i wrong in thinking that?

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

Reaction score
could you please explain why the answers A?
which process can convert molecules to new substances by removing hydrogen atom?
A)Displacement
B)fermentation
C)Neutralisation
D)oxidation
It's definetly neutralization since neutralization is the reaction between an acid and an alkali where the alkali destroys the acidity of the acid by accepting its hydrogen ion forming salt and water...

hi i have a chemistry question :)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_w03_qp_1.pdf

question 8

the answer is C... i thought non metals had low m/p and b/p as that is what it says in my text book... so i chose A but thats wrong..why? thanks

also for question 15, the answer is D. The examiner said , "............This suggests that either they were
confused about endo-versus exo-thermic or about the neutrality of solution of a salt such as potassium
nitrate. "

what does he/she mean about that neutraility of solution of salt...? is there something that we need to know? For me, i thought that the pH doesn't fall because potassium nitrate is basic... am i wrong in thinking that?

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

Okay for that number 8 he is asking about a solid non-metal ,all non metals whatever there state is don't conduct electricity so it is either A,B,or C..You are left with melting point and boiling point..To know the state of the element at room temperatures use 20 C and trying putting it between the melting and boiling point
for example
A
MP:-210 BP:-183
Defintly the 20 goes after both so it is a gas at room temperature.
For C,
MP:119 BP:149
The 20 goes before both so it is a solid
Okay for that number 15
Classifying salts as acidic,neutral,basic
A neutral

Neutral salts are formed from the reaction between a strong acid and strong base like HNO3,and KOH.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well,
Soda lime is present to absorb carbondioxide.
The tube Y is attached to dead seeds and X is attached to germinating seeds.
Germinating seeds respire to release energy by taking in oxygen from the water, causing the level at X to rise.
The dead seeds donot and so the level Y remains same, i.e unchanged.
if oxygen is being used up wont the level X fall !!:unsure: